Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Hi, I am currently encoding/backing up my CD collection to an External HD in ALAC format but obviously at 250 GB I cannot sync my iPod with it.

Does anyone have a good method to both archive on an external HD and having the same music on an iPod at a lower bitrate?

Please add any suggestions.

badhorsie777

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Yeah - do your whole collection as Apple Lossless. At the end, when EVERYTHING is converted, change your import preferences to your smaller format (AAC 160 is a great format for portable devices - higher if you want it). Highlight your whole music collection (command key + "a") and right click on them. "Convert selection to AAC" or "Convert selection to mp3", depending on what your "small" format choice was.

Let her rip.

You can sort by "type" or "bit rate" to help you get a handle on your big collection. Just make sure you have some way of telling which is which. I think that's under "view options", but I'm on my work pc right now so i'm not sure. Make sure you have a column that'll distinguish the two to make your life easier, like I said - bit rate or type...

Hope it helps!

-Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.