Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1
to1986
macrumors regular

Safe to delete cache files?

Ive noticed my hard drive space slowly whittling away for no apparent reason. Having done a bit of research on the net, the topic of cache files often come up, allegedly deleting htem clears up a lot of space and allows your mac to run much faster. Is it safe to do this? I have onyx for mac, which options under cleaning do people usually check when using it? I am running snow leopard 10.6.2
to1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:47 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I don't use Indy frequently enough to answer that question, but, i do know that you can delete your cache files. I personally don't think they're taking up that much space, but it's harmless enough to delete them.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:58 AM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Yes, it is ok to delete your cache files
It is doubtful you will reclaim a large amount of space, but a bloated cache can occasionally affect performance
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

http://www.trilateralsystems.com/cacheoutx/
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
...but a bloated cache can occasionally affect performance
...as will an empty cache, for pages you revisit. Of course, pages that you had not visited will not be affected.
Gregg2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:24 PM   #6
to1986
macrumors regular

I am assuming this shouldn't be done regularly then, and only if performance has dropped?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by to1986 View Post
I am assuming this shouldn't be done regularly then, and only if performance has dropped?
You can do it as often as you like, but if there's not a problem, you may slow done certain things until the cache gets rebuilt.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
You can do it as often as you like, but if there's not a problem, you may slow done certain things until the cache gets rebuilt.
Technically true, but if you get into the "deep" cache cleaning that some utilities have as an option, there is actually some small chance of it screwing things up that were working properly (I had an old version of the [OS]CacheCleaner utility do this to me once). As LCC itself says, only do this if you're actually having problems, not as maintenance.

"Light" cache deletion, however, should be perfectly safe, and has at least some chance of helping with low storage space.

Another thing to check is if your system log file has gotten horribly bloated. It's uncommon, but misbehaving software will sometimes dump massive amounts of error messages into the logs, which can cause severe space shortages. Open up Console.app in your utilities folder, find System.log, select it, and check the size in the bottom left corner of the window. Alternately, most maintenance utilities have an option for deleting logs, which can be done safely without worry (they are, after all, just logs). Knowing if that was the problem is valuable, though, so you can do something about the root cause.

Recent real world example: Silverlight, when playing video off NBC's Olympics website, dumped hundreds of error messages into the logs every second. 750MB/hour worth. Either watch a few hours of full-event Olympics or forget to close the browser window for a day or two, and you've got tens of gigabytes worth of logs eating up your free space.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:01 PM   #9
to1986
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makosuke View Post
Technically true, but if you get into the "deep" cache cleaning that some utilities have as an option, there is actually some small chance of it screwing things up that were working properly (I had an old version of the [OS]CacheCleaner utility do this to me once). As LCC itself says, only do this if you're actually having problems, not as maintenance.
my mac has been running poorly of late, and I want to jsut try these things to see if it makes a difference. I got the app 'cleanmymac', which is supposedly quite good...but do you suggest not deleting 'System Cache'? There is also an option to delete universal binaries, should they be left alone...I have no idea what they are?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:04 PM   #10
yellow

If you need to clean your caches, these are the ones you need to hit in order of "safeness". I suggest moving the caches to the trash, and restarting the Mac (in the case of #2 and #3, #1 only needs a logout/login).
  1. ~/Library/Caches/
  2. /Library/Caches
  3. /System/Library/Caches

As for Universal Binaries, don't touch them. If you're running out of space, delete some pr0n, don't delete system files.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:05 PM   #11
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by to1986 View Post
my mac has been running poorly of late, and I want to jsut try these things to see if it makes a difference. I got the app 'cleanmymac', which is supposedly quite good...but do you suggest not deleting 'System Cache'? There is also an option to delete universal binaries, should they be left alone...I have no idea what they are?
Watch out for binaries, since you can screw up stuff.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help