Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
MA
I will try to be as detailed as possible for what I want to be able to do...

Currently I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 with 1GB of RAM and a 256 GeForce 6600... I know... it's old but it hasn't given me much trouble until recently when things have started to need an intel processor.

I am thinking about upgrading to an iMac. Basically I am trying to decide whether I should get the 27" C2D and upgrade to the 512 graphics card or if I would be fine with the 21.5" with the 256 card. I basically do music editing and light to moderate gaming. As far as gaming all I really need to do is be able to play Blizzard games. As in I'd like to be able to play Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 when they are released. I know we haven't seen specs on these games yet but I'd assume they'd be available to a wide range of systems as blizzard is typically not top-of-the-line when it comes to requirements on release.

My only problem with the 27" is i feel like it might be too large for my desk. Does anyone find it hard to adjust to that large of a screen. Currently I'm using a 19" monitor so even the 21.5" might have a tough time fitting on my desk. Of course I could always get a new desk.

TIA for any suggestions

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
27" is absolutely gorgeous but I think you are fine with 21.5". I think you'll get about the same gaming performance when playing at native resolution because 27" has so big resolution so gaming at full res needs more from the GPU.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
MA
thanks for the input

just got back from the apple store with my new 21.5 incher and omg i can't imagine what a 27" would've done to this desk lol.

thanks much for the input :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.