Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 3, 2004, 02:01 PM   #1
alexf
macrumors 6502a

Best way to transfer files to a new G5?

I am about to upgrade my computer to a new G5 and want to know what the best (meaning safest and most thorough) way to "clone" the hard drive from my existing computer (G5 1.6GHz) to the new one would be.

In the past I have just transferred all of my documents and preferences to the new hard drive via firewire (target disk) and then reinstalled all of my applications but this takes a very long time. Is there any disadvantage to cloning the entire hard drive (meaning danger of files getting corrupted, performance issues, etc.?)

I could care less about how long a transfer takees - I just want all the files (including the apps) to transfer perfectly.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 3, 2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Applespider
macrumors 603

ollow the instructions while you set up the new G5 - there's now a data migration facility built-in according to those on the G5 shipping thread. It apparently takes some time to run although you can skip it and run it later. All you need is an ethernet cable to link the two machines.
Applespider is offline   0
Old Sep 3, 2004, 03:44 PM   #3
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Yep. On first boot, it will prompt you to boot your old computer into target disk mode, then to connect them via fire wire. It takes care of the rest.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 03:55 PM   #4
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
The G5 allows for you to Taget Disk mode any other Firewire Mac and copy the contents over. it works very well.

Another option, is to use Carbon Copy CLoner to transfer a clone of your old drive. It will be best if you allow the G5 to do this, as you will get only the files you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf
I am about to upgrade my computer to a new G5 and want to know what the best (meaning safest and most thorough) way to "clone" the hard drive from my existing computer (G5 1.6GHz) to the new one would be.

In the past I have just transferred all of my documents and preferences to the new hard drive via firewire (target disk) and then reinstalled all of my applications but this takes a very long time. Is there any disadvantage to cloning the entire hard drive (meaning danger of files getting corrupted, performance issues, etc.?)

I could care less about how long a transfer takees - I just want all the files (including the apps) to transfer perfectly.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!
seamuskrat is offline   0
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:26 PM   #5
pncc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamuskrat
The G5 allows for you to Taget Disk mode any other Firewire Mac and copy the contents over. it works very well.

Another option, is to use Carbon Copy CLoner to transfer a clone of your old drive. It will be best if you allow the G5 to do this, as you will get only the files you need.
A problem with cloning the WHOLE drive is that there are system specific files in there that different CPUs need. If you write over the /System or /Library folders, you will eliminate files needed by the G5 to work. The cloned System may not even boot. I think the migration tool only moves DATA, Not Applications.
pncc is offline   0
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:06 AM   #6
alexf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncc
A problem with cloning the WHOLE drive is that there are system specific files in there that different CPUs need. If you write over the /System or /Library folders, you will eliminate files needed by the G5 to work. The cloned System may not even boot. I think the migration tool only moves DATA, Not Applications.
Really? Meaning if I use the new file transfer set-up assistant it won't transfer my applications?!

This is what I was trying to avoid - having to reinstall everything!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:42 AM   #7
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Really? Meaning if I use the new file transfer set-up assistant it won't transfer my applications?!

This is what I was trying to avoid - having to reinstall everything!
Duff-Man says....when you use the new setup assistant it will ask you if you want to move apps, or just users, or whatever...it works really well. As it will tell you, there *may* be a few apps that will require a reinstall but most will be fine.....oh yeah!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 01:26 AM   #8
alexf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says....when you use the new setup assistant it will ask you if you want to move apps, or just users, or whatever...it works really well. As it will tell you, there *may* be a few apps that will require a reinstall but most will be fine.....oh yeah!
Thanks, Duff-Man.

Would you recommend this over the Carbon Copy Cloner?

With the setup assistant that you mentioned is it a problem if the older computer is a completely different model than the one to which files are being transferred?

Also, are there any application performance issues / problems to consider when transferring them this way as opposed to reinstalling them?
Old Sep 4, 2004, 03:08 AM   #9
numark
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks, Duff-Man.

With the setup assistant that you mentioned is it a problem if the older computer is a completely different model than the one to which files are being transferred?

Also, are there any application performance issues / problems to consider when transferring them this way as opposed to reinstalling them?
The setup assistant in question is designed specifically to transfer files to the G5 from completely different computers. It shouldn't transfer any of the files that are CPU-specific. It basically just moves your data, apps, and users so that everything looks similar on your new computer.

Most programs should work without a hitch. One of the beauties of OS X is that programs can be installed by merely dragging one file into the folder of your choice. All of the things it needs are usually in that one file. The only exception may be programs that require registration and use hidden files to do that, or programs that for some weird reason decide to use the PC approach to installing and scatter their files all over the place (a definite rarity).

Enjoy the new computer!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:12 AM   #10
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thanks, Duff-Man.

Duff-Man says...for moving from an older model to a newer computer I would defintely recommend the new setup assistant over Carbon Copy Cloner (although CCC is a decent program, it is not really the right tool for moving to a new computer model). There should be no performance issues at all as the Apps moved are all self-contained, and if they are not then they may require reinstallation anyway - you will know when you launch them. As I said...it worked fantastic when I moved from the G4 Dual 800 to the new G5 - a couple apps required reinstall or cd insertion to re-register the app (Reason and a couple other audio apps). One thing I did do however was before starting the process I did a complete backup of the old computer, just so I have it somewhere as it was once the G4 has made it out the door.....oh yeah!

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers