Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrfrankmrfrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I have been trying desperately for the past couple of days to figure out a way to have the console client launch hidden upon login of mac. I want to do this because a friend of mine is willing to fold on his mac if he doesn't have to do anything and if there is nothing on his screen. I would put the smp installer on his machine, but this does not have the latest client and he would not get bidadv units.

I have downloaded and configured the console client. It works great. I have tried various ways using either an applescript or automator (both of which I barely have any experience with) to have it so when he logs in, the folding@home console client simply launches and starts in the background.

If anyone has any ideas that could help, that would be great.

thanks guys

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Did you look at using the Login Items in the accounts preference panel? you can hide items that you launch at login in there.

mrfrankmrfrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I have tried this, (one of the first things I tried upon a google search) I am not sure of specifically why this does not work. I have read various articles suggest that the (hide) function of the login items has been someone broken in later versions of the mac os and I have also read that the hide function of the login items only works for actual "applications" ending in .app. Since the folding@home console client in mac is not an actual .app but more of a ..unix file? according to the info pane, this does not work.

Either way, when adding the folding@home console client to the login items and checking the hide box, the console client opens upon login and displays itself quite proudly on the screen.

mrfrankmrfrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
wow, that actually works. I have no idea what cron is and what not, but it's actually working....

Two days of wasted time and google searches. I didn't find anything this simple. Should have posted this question earlier. Thanks guys!

mrfrankmrfrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I'm just saying. I was shocked when I rebooted after setting up the cron and I saw the activity monitor fully folding.

It's perfect. Nothing flashes on the screen, there is nothing to close. This guy wont be able to mess with the folding client simply because it is on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.