Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwatson1979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
I bought an eMac over a year ago, without Apple Care (silly I know) and now the internal monitors gone and died!

I am running it fine with an external monitor adaptor and an old Dell monitor (which i will change as soon as i can afford)

Now heres the mission... I want to take out the eMac motherboard and put it in a new case, as the great big dead monitor is just waisting space...

1. has anybody tried this?
2. what case would suit? - would like to use a b&w G3 just cos i really like em and you can get these for cheep (old broken ones)

Just wanting any advice, tips, tricks for this mod.. i will set up a web page showing the stages of my mod for others to follow too... i know theres one guy i found whos done the same, but had not yet put his eMac into a case, the motherboard seems very dificult to work with...

Even if its a horible PC case then at least it will take less room, but as i say an old mac case (maby an old PPC even... yeah.. idea forming) would be best...

I want a new iMac G5 so im not too fussed about getting the monitor in my eMac repaired as it will cost.

So yeah, any help with my project would be great :D

So the brief:

1: take apart eMac without damaging
2: discard dead monitor
3: find a suitable case - old mac or decent pc case
4: get all components, superdrive etc into a new case
5: make it neat and usable
6: get a TFT monitor cos this old white dell one looks UGLY!
7: buy a G5 iMac anyway and sell it to a mod fan :p

he he

HELP PLEASE!!!

chears - matt

mac rumours newbie - 1st post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.