Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

iPad - iTunes - Home Share?

Do you think that the iPad will support a version if iTunes that would allow for home network sharing.

What I really like is that I can have a central location for all my media then with my MacBook / Pro get what I would like rather than using sync process with a cable.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
nosaj72
macrumors member

I would like to see this too, only if they also had a way of deleting a song or movie off the ipad when you are finished, without a sync cable.

What the iPad really needs is an Apple TV "app" that lets you stream files from a local iTunes the same way an Apple TV does. Since the iPad has 802.11n networking and can handle all the formats an Apple TV can, I don't see why this can't been easily done. If they could come out with this, I think it would push me over the fence to getting one, vs waiting to see how they pan out.
nosaj72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3
undaunted
macrumors newbie

I'd want to see something similar for photos. We have a well constructed iPhoto library teetering at around 50GB so I won't be putting it onto an iPad. The ability to stream all media via a home share type of concept will make or break for me - as well as some of the other comments in this forum.
undaunted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
vini-vidi-vici
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by undaunted View Post
I'd want to see something similar for photos. We have a well constructed iPhoto library teetering at around 50GB so I won't be putting it onto an iPad. The ability to stream all media via a home share type of concept will make or break for me - as well as some of the other comments in this forum.
I never understood this... how could you have 50GB of photos that would conceivably go onto an iPad? The iPad is 1024x1024 max, and if you're talking about .jpgs at that resolution, the file sizes are very small. you'd need more photos than you can look at in a lifetime to get to 50GB. I'm a photographer, and have >1TB of images... in raw format. But, on my iPod touch? lucky if it's 1G, that's a ton of images.
vini-vidi-vici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
undaunted
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vini-vidi-vici View Post
I never understood this... how could you have 50GB of photos that would conceivably go onto an iPad? The iPad is 1024x1024 max, and if you're talking about .jpgs at that resolution, the file sizes are very small. you'd need more photos than you can look at in a lifetime to get to 50GB. I'm a photographer, and have >1TB of images... in raw format. But, on my iPod touch? lucky if it's 1G, that's a ton of images.
That's my point - I don't want any of photos on the iPad. BUT, the ability to stream them for slideshow or just to browse and have reasonable performance - now that is what I am after.
undaunted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:16 AM   #6
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj72 View Post
I would like to see this too, only if they also had a way of deleting a song or movie off the ipad when you are finished, without a sync cable.

What the iPad really needs is an Apple TV "app" that lets you stream files from a local iTunes the same way an Apple TV does. Since the iPad has 802.11n networking and can handle all the formats an Apple TV can, I don't see why this can't been easily done. If they could come out with this, I think it would push me over the fence to getting one, vs waiting to see how they pan out.
This is what I am hoping for in OS4.0... give us FrontRow on the iPad and I'm a happy camper. Also, .11n isn't needed for this at all. .11g is perfectly capable of faster than realtime streaming anything the ATV or iPad can play (I have a .11g network at home with my iMac and ATV on it and can stream 720p24 movies fine).
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7
vini-vidi-vici
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by undaunted View Post
That's my point - I don't want any of photos on the iPad. BUT, the ability to stream them for slideshow or just to browse and have reasonable performance - now that is what I am after.
But, why can't you just set it up so that you have iPad-sized versions of all your photos on the iPad? It wouldn't take that much space.
vini-vidi-vici is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
What the iPad really needs is an Apple TV "app" that lets you stream files from a local iTunes the same way an Apple TV does.
Isn't that what the Remote App does, or am I missing something?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
The remote app is just a remote, not a receiver for streaming.

The home share option would reasonably allow for media to be viewed and copied to the iPad and then deleted when not needed.

i think the same with photos would be nice. The iTune features however already exist, so I hope they are included in the iPad version of iTunes.

I do the copy then delete when watched with my macbook. Since you have a much bigger interface on the iPad, there is room to add selections etc.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:09 PM   #10
nosaj72
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
The remote app controls an Apple TV. I want the iPad to BE the apple tv, ie. stream directly from my itunes to the iPad screen.
nosaj72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:30 PM   #11
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The remote app controls an Apple TV. I want the iPad to BE the apple tv, ie. stream directly from my itunes to the iPad screen.
Which is what the Home Sharing and Library sharing in iTunes will allow if included in the iPad version of iTunes.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:12 PM   #12
bossxii
macrumors 68000

If iTMS doesn't do this natively, I know of an app called "ORB" that will stream any type of media to the iPhone. I would assume it will work with the iPad.

**I've only seen it being used by a co worker, I have not used it or know of it's full capabilities.
bossxii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:32 PM   #13
G4R2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vini-vidi-vici View Post
This is actually a strange characteristic of the iPhone OS that is a remnant of the way the original iPod stored graphics files on the device.

Each image file that is stored on the iPhone for the Photo app is actually converted by iTunes into a .ithmb file which can be either 25k or 708k. Even .jpg's that are smaller than 708k are stored as 708k files. It's even possible to end up with a file that is larger in size but of lesser quality, something that becomes evident when you zoom in.

I'm not sure that this type of processing has changed in the recent versions of the iPhone OS or if this will be the case on the iPad.
G4R2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 01:53 AM   #14
LaNex
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxii
If iTMS doesn't do this natively, I know of an app called "ORB" that will stream any type of media to the iPhone. I would assume it will work with the iPad.

**I've only seen it being used by a co worker, I have not used it or know of it's full capabilities.
I have it. It's ok, it works. You set the server up on your mac (or pc) and away you go. I'm assuming it will work on the ipad. But an Apple version in some form would be preferable for me. I like Apple's ui's and usually their apps don't crash as third party ones are occassionally wont to do.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:49 PM   #15
EssentialParado
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, you are probably confusing with another remote App. There's a remote app for iPhones/touches/and I assume iPads that allows you to stream iTunes music off your computer to your device.

Steve- if you can stream over WiFi, why would you need to copy anything onto the iPad?
EssentialParado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:24 PM   #16
rfgreen
macrumors member

Mistaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParado View Post
No, you are probably confusing with another remote App. There's a remote app for iPhones/touches/and I assume iPads that allows you to stream iTunes music off your computer to your device.

Steve- if you can stream over WiFi, why would you need to copy anything onto the iPad?
I know of no Apple application that will do this.
rfgreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:28 AM   #17
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParado View Post
So when I am on the Bus to work, I can watch last nights episode of Big Bang Theory that was recorded with my Eye TV on my iMac. I know I could steam is on the Bus Wifi, but the copy is smoother and better quality.

Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:03 AM   #18
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Agreed a native iTunes home share app would be best. However until then use Simplify Media (I think it's called Simplify2 in the ITMS).

It will stream your entire iTunes song library over wifi AND 3G...

Oh, and for video there's Air Video. Amazing app that streams your vid content over wifi and even over the internet...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:13 AM   #19
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Agreed a native iTunes home share app would be best. However until then use Simplify Media (I think it's called Simplify2 in the ITMS).

It will stream your entire iTunes song library over wifi AND 3G...

Oh, and for video there's Air Video. Amazing app that streams your vid content over wifi and even over the internet...
Hmm. I will have to check out simplify media. That sounds vrey nice. Do any of these support more than 1 connection?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:22 AM   #20
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I would love a version of the Air's DVD sharing where I can stream DVDs from my Mac to the iPad.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:04 PM   #21
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I would love a version of the Air's DVD sharing where I can stream DVDs from my Mac to the iPad.
That would be very nice. Maybe we need a media cast server for the iPad in addition to home share.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:40 PM   #22
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSparks View Post
Hmm. I will have to check out simplify media. That sounds vrey nice. Do any of these support more than 1 connection?

Hmm not sure. We havent tried that even though we are a multiple iPhone household. I am on the road through end of week, maybe the app page in the iTMS specifies?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Aldaris
macrumors 6502a

I'd like some clarification on this too

As soon as there is an apple supported (STABLE) way of doing this very thing, I'll buy an iPad... until, then my MacBook Pro and iPhone/touch will suit me fine...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:40 PM   #24
Mew2468
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think you can delete videos - I remember swiping across it and having the delete button come up. Or maybe that was just a video podcast.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:55 AM   #25
LaNex
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew2468
Quote:
I think you can delete videos - I remember swiping across it and having the delete button come up. Or maybe that was just a video podcast.
You can do this with 3.1.3 on the iPhone last time I tried with a movie so, makes sense to have it on the ipad too.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad