Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I have 2 9500/150 systems with these cards in them. Interface is PCI but theres no connectors and the only markings on them are "Adaptive Solutions". The cards are full length and the EDO stick on each one is made by PNY.

Attachments

• maincard.JPG
    maincard.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 184
  • cardl.JPG
    cardl.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 136
  • cardr.JPG
    cardr.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 159

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Close Duff man, but the layout doesn't look quite right. I would guess that it might be a variant of an Orange Micro Wintel-on-a-card, that allowed the user to run Windows natively in a Mac.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
According to this PDF, it seems that it could be a Photoshop Accelerator card.

• Our most successful product was an accelerator card for Adobe PhotoShop
  • "PowerShop" provided (before Power Macs) a 5-10x speed-up for data intensive operations such as Gaussian blur, unsharp mask, and rotate

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Lets look at it on dual level:

1. How would this help photoshop run faster? What hardware functions or software functions does this card serve?

2. I never seen wintel cards in action, any place I could read up on them?

edit: If it had a model number on it, this woulda made my life easier. :p

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Rabidjade said:
Lets look at it on dual level:

1. How would this help photoshop run faster? What hardware functions or software functions does this card serve?

Dedicated processors to speed up rendering complex, multi-layer, high-resolution images? With local dedicated RAM to hold image data during processing?

Rabidjade said:
2. I never seen wintel cards in action, any place I could read up on them?

edit: If it had a model number on it, this woulda made my life easier. :p

Good question, there (other than to Google for it). I'd like to see a modernized PC-on-a-card that uses either 64-bit 66MHz PCI or 133MHz PCI-X slot to aid in running VirtualPC. I'd think a "real" Pentium III at 733MHz (would be theoretically possible on a 133MHz PCI-X interface) would run circles around an emulated P-II any day of the week.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Cnaps 1016 Image Processsing

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~strom/papers/ieeeproc.PDF

Here is quite a technical pdf - It does appear that these cards are used for image processing - I would guess that the OS would need some drivers to acknowledge the existence of the cards.

Taken from the PDF

image processing (IP), employs five fundamental classes of operation

1) image enhancement;
2) image restoration;
3) image analysis;
4) image compression; and
5) image synthesis.

Image Processing is used extensively in such diverse fields as medicine, astronomy, and entertainment. I am guessing now these are the fields that Adaptive sold the cards to.

I think this PDF will answer most questions that you may have about the cards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.