Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I just got a sweet deal from the Apple store on a refurbished 20" iMac G4 w/ Superdrive. Only $1399! Can't beat that!

Anyway, my question is:

Is it possible to add internal bluetooth capability to an iMac G4? I realize doing so would void the warranty, but if it is straightforward enough, i will go ahead anyway. Also, if it is not, is Apple or Apple stores able to add it to my iMac after I get it?

Secondary question: How hard is it to put in a bigger HD in the G4 iMac? I'm no new to taking apart cpu's and swapping parts. Just did it to a G3 iMac last week.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I know you said you would like to have internal bluetooth, but I really don't see the point. Why not get a low cost USB Bluetooth module? It will be on the back of the iMac, so no one will ever see it anyway. I can understand wanting internal bluetooth on a PowerBook or iBook, because a USB solution would be both visible, and interfere with portability. But in the case of a desktop computer, having something sticking an inch out of a USB port on the back doesn't really have any downsides.

As for changing the hard drive, I'd imagine it shouldn't be that difficult, especially since you have experience opening computers. Maybe someone on in the forum can give you a copy of the tech manual. However, changing the hard drive may void your warranty. And seeing as how your computer is brand new, I don't know why you would want to risk it. Perhaps you should consider an external FireWire/USB 2 hard drive for extra storage.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Elan0204 said:
I know you said you would like to have internal bluetooth, but I really don't see the point. Why not get a low cost USB Bluetooth module? It will be on the back of the iMac, so no one will ever see it anyway. I can understand wanting internal bluetooth on a PowerBook or iBook, because a USB solution would be both visible, and interfere with portability. But in the case of a desktop computer, having something sticking an inch out of a USB port on the back doesn't really have any downsides.

i agree, but. . . what if Punkwaffle needs to use the USB ports for other purposes? (like doesnt have a USB hub and needs all ports availible. . .or has so many perferals that multiple ports are needed for multiple USB hubs? ) it might not be in the way asthetically, but it may be in the way of a USB port if an external one is used. unfortunatly ive never worked on an iMac so do not know how easy it is to install either internally :-/

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
If you could find a BT module it hooks up into the internal USB bus (I haven't looked at the iMac repair guide in a while but I think it's the same as a Pbook). But even dealers can't seem to get any of them so you're outta luck unless you rip it out of another Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.