Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Over the past few months, the battery on my black MacBook has started to swell. I took it out and it's bulging a bit in the center. I used my brother's MacBook battery for comparison. It's definitely bulging.

I don't have the money right now to shell out for a new battery. I just returned from being overseas and I don't have a job. Do you guys think Apple would be somewhat sympathetic to my situation? I've never abused the battery or the computer, and never exposed it to excessive heat or cold.

I'm just worried about my safety, really. I still get a good 4 hours on a single charge.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
The same thing happened to my white MacBook. I stopped by my local Apple Store about a week ago and they did nothing for me because it was out of warranty.

franko v

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Arizona
Apple Store replaced my mid-2007 macBook battery for free

Just take it in and ask.

I take extremely great care with my black MacBook (mid-2007), so I was shocked to see the battery bulging.

I did nothing, until I read some forums today about similar issues. It seemed most posters were able to get theirs replaced free of charge even out of warranty.

So I made an appt, took it in, and I didn't even start to explain, when the Apple guy said he would replace it free of charge.

Wow!

nafidhaque

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Germany
Swelling of early 2008 White Macbook battery

For the past few days I have been noticing that my Macbook does not sit flat on the desk surface so upon inspection I was shocked to notice that the battery is sort of warped in the middle. Since then I have been using the Macbook without a battery and waiting to take any steps regarding the battery. The Macbook is two+ years old and without warranty at the moment. It was bought in Holland from an :apple: premium reseller (MacMe) but at the moment I am stationed in Germany. I am not very close to any :apple: store but know of a few :apple: resellers around.

Any ideas on how to go about the situation?

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
The only time this happened to me was due to the Macbook (early 2006) getting wet (not by my hand). Even setting the computer on a wet surface could potentially allow water to seep in to the battery through those very small openings around the outside and the LED battery level monitor/test button. Once water gets in to the lithium-ion packets inside the battery, it gets broken down into oxygen and hydrogen. The swelling is caused because of the gas buildup.

Since Apple looks down the nose of Steve Jobs when it comes to water damage... I doubt you'd have much chance even with warranty coverage. My advice: remove the battery until you can get a replacement. Using the battery could potentially increase the gas buildup until your battery explodes. By which I mean fiery because batteries=ignition source, therefore battery+hydrogen gas=explosion. QED.

I realize that you're strapped for cash right now, but you can find pretty good deals on eBay like this Blackbook battery for $36.66. Most Macbook batteries on eBay will run you around $30-$50. The model number is A1185 I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.