Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
The Apple TV youtube search seems to function... differently than youtube.

Has anyone else noticed that you don't get the same results, even with the exact terms? Example: my wife was telling me about this lame new singer "Ke$ha" and talking about this terrible music video.

So I get on my laptop, and do a search. Instantly comes up with the official song and video. I decide I want to hear it on my huge sound system on my home theater, so I do the same search on the AppleTV.

The same video is impossible to find. So I try it with a bunch of different "mainstream" popular music videos. They all work fine on the website, but not on the AppleTV.

What is up with this? I want to hear "Poker Face" blasting out my subs, but apparently Apple doesn't want me being able to just hear it off youtube, I have to buy it off itunes?

Edit: I tried adding them to my favorites on the youtube website, the same account I use on the AppleTV. They don't even show up now, BUT what it did do was duplicate existing favorites that were already in my list, but didn't add the new videos. This is pretty messed up.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
maybe the video on youtube is flash and the appletv does not support flash? :confused:

i get the same "gimped" results when working out (on the bike) and i want to watch youtube videos but many results are probably filtered out cause they are flash-based, not the H.264 based.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's not an Apple thing. It's a Google YouTube API thing. Those videos are licensed by Google from the record labels for the Web site only.

You'll notice that bootleg music videos will pass the censors and make it to the API. However, they're usually pulled down in favor of the official video.

Similarly, you won't find other "premium" YouTube content like stuff from YouTube Live, etc either.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
It's not an Apple thing. It's a Google YouTube API thing. Those videos are licensed by Google from the record labels for the Web site only.

You'll notice that bootleg music videos will pass the censors and make it to the API. However, they're usually pulled down in favor of the official video.

Similarly, you won't find other "premium" YouTube content like stuff from YouTube Live, etc either.

What a FUUUUUCKING joke.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What a FUUUUUCKING joke.

Yeah. Although Sony and Warner have created a cool Hulu-like free Web site for music videos, http://www.vevo.com. The quality is really good.

Maybe there is hope that Vevo will license its content to set-top box makers.

I also think Vevo has an API that allows YouTube to incorporate their videos, but again those don't make it past the YouTube Web site.

dont24

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
I've been on the fence for a while, trying to decide if an ATV is for me. It seems like a mini is the way to go.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I've been on the fence for a while, trying to decide if an ATV is for me. It seems like a mini is the way to go.

Every part of me wishes I had 1 mini instead of 2 apple TV's. With as much hulu as the wife watches, the ATV is really only good for our massive torrent library.

kidk

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
youtube.com/vevo

Had the same prob. Jailbreak your apple tv. Use couch surfer and go to youtube.com/vevo. solved it.. can now watch all those official videos

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
The same thing happens if you try and watch music videos on your iPhone or iPad.

"The author of this video does not allow playback on iPhone"

maxjive

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
Yeah. Although Sony and Warner have created a cool Hulu-like free Web site for music videos, http://www.vevo.com. The quality is really good.

Maybe there is hope that Vevo will license its content to set-top box makers.

I also think Vevo has an API that allows YouTube to incorporate their videos, but again those don't make it past the YouTube Web site.

I can find VEVO videos on my iPhone through either the web or the iPhone YouTube App, so it makes zero sense for AppleTV to not have the same content. Additionally, unless I don't know how to filter results on AppleTV, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the search results. I get videos with 5,000 views before the ones with 500,000,000 views. If you go to All-Time most viewed videos, don't you think that the video with the most views all-time would be at the top of the list? Apple doesn't. I can't figure it out.

I guess the work around for the OP would be to stream the videos from your iPhone to AppleTV if you can't find them on AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.