Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:17 PM   #1
danlovaj
macrumors regular

Can iPad import camera RAW files?

I realize iPad is able to download photos off your camera with the camera kit. But what about RAW files? I shot a lot of RAW with my dSLR, and was hoping to be able to store them on the iPad during vacations/trips when the memory card gets full. I know even 16gb should hold lots of pics at 1024 resolution, but RAW files are so huge in comparison.

The question is just how much of a hybrid it is of iPhoto, which can display RAW files. What do you think?
danlovaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2
goobot
macrumors 601

prob. maybe not maybe so
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3
elmo151

at a max of 64GB there are limits on storage. There are 64GB SD cards.

they did announce an SD reader:

Quote:
iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.
I think it may work if there is an ability to add external storage
elmo151 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
yaroldb
macrumors 6502

I'd like to see how fast it is. I used to have the camera adapter for my ipod (5th gen video). I'd connect the USB from my DSLR and transfer the files. It took raws and jpeg but only showed the jpeg's. The only problem I had was the time it took to transfer the files over. I'm talking hours. Once it even crashed during the transfer and I lost all my files. I threw it away after that.
yaroldb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 02:45 PM   #5
chriszzz
macrumors 6502

I was wondering this myself. It would make a great device to preview images without a computer.
chriszzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:02 PM   #6
skubish
macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I doubt it will support RAW.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Manatee
macrumors 6502

Eventually, I'm hoping to see lite-ened versions of popular Mac apps available for the iPad, and one of them would certainly be Photoshop Elements. I'd hope to see a RAW converter included with a product like that.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Chundles
macrumors G4

I don't mind if it doesn't support RAW files but it would be sweet to shoot in RAW+JPEG and have the jpegs viewable instantly but still be able to import the RAW files off the iPad onto my Mac when I got home.

If it did that then I wouldn't need to take my laptop on holidays.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:12 AM   #9
azcoyote
macrumors member

Good news! The specs for the iPad Camera Connection Kit now indicate the iPad will support RAW format. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
The camera connector is not yet available for pre-order though.
azcoyote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:34 AM   #10
elmo151

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcoyote View Post
Good news! The specs for the iPad Camera Connection Kit now indicate the iPad will support RAW format. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
The camera connector is not yet available for pre-order though.
oddly enough the camera connection kit was not listed as an accessory today.

I wonder where it went?
elmo151 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:54 AM   #11
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
iPad Camera Connection Kit
The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.
So yes.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:36 AM   #12
thelonepixel
macrumors newbie

What annoys me is that there is no CF Card adapter. Also I think the base model should have had 64GB, since you can get the iphone with 32GB.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:49 AM   #13
blackNBUK
macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit surprised at the RAW support as I was under the impression that RAW wasn't a completely standardised format like JPEG (i.e. different cameras produce different types of RAW files)

I agree with Chundles and hope that there is the option to only import JPEGs. Being able to quickly preview JPEGs on the iPad sounds like a pretty neat feature.
blackNBUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:56 AM   #14
danlovaj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonepixel View Post
What annoys me is that there is no CF Card adapter. Also I think the base model should have had 64GB, since you can get the iphone with 32GB.
I wish it had a CF too. Because shooting in RAW is going to be on my Canon 40D. But i figure having a usb adaptor will download from both my dslr and point and touch.
danlovaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Travisimo
macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the blurb about the Camera Connection Kit at http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ but I have a number of questions:

Does the kit come with BOTH the ability to plug the camera in directly and a memory card, or are there two different kits?

Is it just SD cards that it supports?

Where does it store the photos once they are imported? Will I be able to plug my iPad into my iMac and import the photos into Lightroom directly, or will I need to import from iTunes first?

Since it says it supports JPG and RAW, does that mean the iPad will be able to view RAW photos, or just import them for syncing later? If it is able to decode the RAW files on the device itself, will it support the same RAW formats that Apple supports in Aperture?

Thanks a bunch!
Travisimo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:35 PM   #16
bbydon
macrumors 6502a

Its one kit with both connectors in it. The other questions i dont have an answer for.
But if your iphone can import into lightroom then it should work the same. I imagine it stores them in the photo app
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:25 AM   #17
andyrusty
macrumors newbie

Downloading Raw to ipad

Ive just connected my canon 400d to my ipad.
The photos app opened up itself and the thumbnails of the pics downloaded. The images that were in raw just showed as and empty box with RAW inside it. The jpeg images displayed the image. However when imported into the ipad all the raw images displayed correctly.
The only problem encountered was that the initial thumbnail of the raw image was not displayed.
andyrusty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:42 AM   #18
LiloThePleo
macrumors 6502

The camera connection kit comes with a USB adapter and an SD card adapter, the photo transfer for .mov and .jpg from my camera's SD was very quick, you can pick and choose which to transfer and you can also auto sync with the option to skip any you might have already moved. I moved 300 photos in less than 15 minutes including a couple of videos.

I used it while I was away and I could not fault it
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:42 AM   #19
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrusty View Post
Ive just connected my canon 400d to my ipad.
The photos app opened up itself and the thumbnails of the pics downloaded. The images that were in raw just showed as and empty box with RAW inside it. The jpeg images displayed the image. However when imported into the ipad all the raw images displayed correctly.
The only problem encountered was that the initial thumbnail of the raw image was not displayed.
I was wanting some info on this. Thanks for the update!
MacinJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:13 AM   #20
rs1001
macrumors newbie

Red face

Adding to this, when uploaded to the iPad, is it still a Full-Res RAW or has it converted it / downsized it to a JPEG?

Also, is there an app better than the Adobe one?
Though some functions are given, level balancing & such are pretty critical & seem to be omitted at the moment.
rs1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:07 PM   #21
bluehydrangeas
macrumors newbie

This may be of interest to some of you:
http://pirawnha.com/
This is the only raw image developer for the iPad
bluehydrangeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 05:04 AM   #22
armadaman
macrumors newbie

with a little help

OnOnesoftware.com has an app that put the camera picture on your iPad or iPhone no matter what the format.
armadaman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 06:22 AM   #23
Stealthipad
Banned

My iPad 2 with camera kit downloads and displays Nikon NEF (RAW) files along with jpegs if you use them. No additional software required!

I ordered it from Apple and was surprised that it included a CF card reader, too!

It works well!
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 06:44 AM   #24
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
My iPad 2 with camera kit downloads and displays Nikon NEF (RAW) files along with jpegs if you use them. No additional software required!

I ordered it from Apple and was surprised that it included a CF card reader, too!

It works well!
The Apple Kit comes with a CF reader?? I don't think so, one is SD and one is USB.
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 07:05 AM   #25
Ecoh
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have experience with the CF card reader for iPad 1 & 2 from the M.I.C. store ?

http://store.micgadget.com/card-read...ction-kit.html
Ecoh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad