Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 5, 2004, 01:46 AM   #1
C-Mezak
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to C-Mezak
Help, My PB is SLOW!!

Hey guys,

I bought a stock revC PB a couple months ago, and in the past few days something seems to have gona astray with it. Suddenly this thing isnt so quick anymore. Programs are taking a while to start up. Even the force quit dialog from the apple menu is taking its time to show up.

I ran the extended hardware test from the dvds that came with my pb, but nothing was found. My pb is stock plus a 512 stick of samsung memory that I installed. Its been running so well so far, but now Im having windoze deja vu. Its as if im accumulating something yucky.

95% of my computer use for the past month has simply been itunes, Camino, Adium, and Mail. I've been playing with some audio editing software a bit, too. Oh and I dont always keep my mac awake at night but I ran MacJanitor recently.

Any ideas on what could be slowing my mac down? I want to ctrl-alt-del to see the task manager and spot some unwanted process hogging my memory. I thought I escaped this windows-like sluggishness!

Thanks
Charlie

12 Powerbook G4 1.33 GHz
20GB 4G iPod
15GB 3G iPod (broken, but still usably as a portable disk!)

A happy switcher since 7/19/04

Steve Balmer is a jack ass.
C-Mezak is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 02:03 AM   #2
dswoodley
macrumors 6502a

sometimes after installing software without repairing permissions can slow down the system considerably.
dswoodley is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 02:46 AM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Download MacJanitor.

Run it and see what comes out in the wash...

(whoops, now I see that you've already done that...)
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 02:57 AM   #4
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Check how much free space you have left on your hard drive. If you have less than 1gb free, OSX can really start to slow down.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 06:45 AM   #5
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
In Utilites there is a app called "activity monitor" its macosx task manager.
You can always use the terminal and type "top" and then use kill "PiD"
cluthz is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 08:55 AM   #6
titaniumducky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Mezak
Hey guys,

I bought a stock revC PB a couple months ago, and in the past few days something seems to have gona astray with it. Suddenly this thing isnt so quick anymore. Programs are taking a while to start up. Even the force quit dialog from the apple menu is taking its time to show up.

I ran the extended hardware test from the dvds that came with my pb, but nothing was found. My pb is stock plus a 512 stick of samsung memory that I installed. Its been running so well so far, but now Im having windoze deja vu. Its as if im accumulating something yucky.

95% of my computer use for the past month has simply been itunes, Camino, Adium, and Mail. I've been playing with some audio editing software a bit, too. Oh and I dont always keep my mac awake at night but I ran MacJanitor recently.

Any ideas on what could be slowing my mac down? I want to ctrl-alt-del to see the task manager and spot some unwanted process hogging my memory. I thought I escaped this windows-like sluggishness!

Thanks
Charlie
From what I understand, this happens only in one of three circumstances this quickly.

1. You're hard drive is almost full (games, movies, error logs, or whatever). Check free space.

2. You have a bad stick of RAM (or more than one). If there is more than one stick, try using only one then the other. Yes, it is possible for RAM to suddenly go bad.

3. I hate to say this - it sounds almost Windows like - you may have to do a clean install.

If you do step 3 and it still is slow, you have what is almost certainly a RAM problem.

Go Nintendo! It's the Apple of video games!
titaniumducky is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 09:01 AM   #7
jane doe
macrumors 6502

Boot to the CD and run the disk utility and see if the directory has any problems if you haven't already.... It's really early in the morning for me so forgive me if you've done it.
jane doe is offline   0
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Go to Finder>Utilities>Activity Monitor, and check what excess processes are slowing down your computer. This usually doesn't need to be checked on a Mac, but if there's something taking up 73% of your CPU, then yeah, there's some weirdness going on there.

Oh, and check and double check "About This Mac" to make sure that the RAM hasn't unseated recently. It may have been okay before, but not anymore.

Nothing else I can think of. For me, this is LATE in the evening.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers