Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Eric Noa
macrumors regular

Password Protect Folders

Hello,

I want to know how I can assign a password to a couple of folders that I don't anyone opening. Thank you... I saw this done in a movie but since its a movie I don't know if its possible...it was done on an Macbook
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Queso
macrumors 603

Rather than password protecting a folder I usually create an encrypted disk image in Disk Utility and password that. It creates a mini FileVault-like area that will prompt for a password when you try and mount it but otherwise can be encrypted with up to AES-256 (pretty strong). I then drag my files into that as I would if it were a USB key or the like.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:35 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

How to make an encrypted disk

It really is the best way

Last edited by MacDawg; Mar 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Eric Noa
macrumors regular

Thank you guys. But if there is a way of protecting just a single file with a password please let me know how its done. Thank you
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:24 PM   #5
chrysrobyn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Noa View Post
Thank you guys. But if there is a way of protecting just a single file with a password please let me know how its done. Thank you
Buddy, I know you're new here, but you asked here for a reason. You already know full well that if it were easy and possible, you would have had a response quickly. Instead, you have two people vouching for the same easy method. Creating a disk image that's bigger than the file you're looking for, and putting your file in that is very nicely integrated into the OS. It's simple, straightforward, and accomplishes all the goals you stated.

Since nobody here is vouching for any one method, you might try google for "macosx encryption". http://www.google.com/search?q=macosx+encryption and sift through the dozens of ways to accomplish exactly what you state. http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/ may or may not do exactly what you want, but I guarantee it's harder to use.
chrysrobyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:41 PM   #6
frankandsteph
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysrobyn View Post
Buddy, I know you're new here, but you asked here for a reason. You already know full well that if it were easy and possible, you would have had a response quickly. Instead, you have two people vouching for the same easy method. Creating a disk image that's bigger than the file you're looking for, and putting your file in that is very nicely integrated into the OS. It's simple, straightforward, and accomplishes all the goals you stated.

Since nobody here is vouching for any one method, you might try google for "macosx encryption". http://www.google.com/search?q=macosx+encryption and sift through the dozens of ways to accomplish exactly what you state. http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/ may or may not do exactly what you want, but I guarantee it's harder to use.
I am new also, but no need to be a jerk to the guy. The first two stated the best way, they did not say only way, so he was simply asking for more help.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:45 PM   #7
yellow

Beware applications that claim to password protect a file or folder. If they aren't using encryption, they're not protecting it at all. A lot of them simply ask for a password and then hide/unhide the file, which is protection only from a novice. As noted, creating an encrypted disk image is the absolutely safest way.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:05 PM   #8
splatt
macrumors member

http://www.truecrypt.org/
splatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:43 PM   #9
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816

Here's the bad news: the mac is unfortunately in a vastly inferior position to pc when it comes to easy encryption options. Soon fanbois will crawl out of the woodwork to claim otherwise, but that's the truth. Yes, you can encrypt folders and files as indicated by creating an encrypted disk, but it's not the same. And there are third party apps, but again, they are all vastly inferior to what's available for windows. For example, I've used this on windows, and I've searched for years, and years, for something equally good (fast, convenient, fine-grained, full-featured, free and of equal security) on os x:

http://www.axantum.com/axCrypt/

and there is nothing, I repeat nothing that even comes close on OS X. Again, look at the list I made point by point: fast (right click menu), convenient, fine-grained, full-featured, free and of equal security.

This is definitely a huge hole in the OS X arsenal, no matter what a thousand fanbois say.

Bottom line: you are out of luck compared to windows - that doesn't mean it can't be done on the mac, just that it will not be as good given the list of characteristics I gave above.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:48 PM   #10
MacDawg
macrumors P6

My encrypted discs work just fine for me
But thanks for trying to make me feel inferior and like I am missing something wonderful... I know you did your best
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:37 PM   #11
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
My encrypted discs work just fine for me
But thanks for trying to make me feel inferior and like I am missing something wonderful... I know you did your best
I'm glad your encrypted discs work just fine for you. And be happy that you have not experienced anything better - sometimes ignorance is bliss. I mean that seriously, not in a mean way. Sometimes I have some piece of gear that works well, and I'm happy with it, until a friend introduces me to a vastly superior gear, and all of a sudden, I'm dissatisfied with my old gear... because I experienced better. It's fine only if I can get the new gear, but if I can't, well, what's the point of making me aware that there is better out there? Unfortunately, I am not as lucky wrt. this software, because I did experience the best (AxCrypt), and sadly cannot get it on a mac, or anything even remotely as good. Sucks for me. For you, I recommend never running AxCrypt on Windows... it'll just make you dissatisfied with what you have on OS X.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:49 PM   #12
skadd
macrumors member

I can't live without AxCrypt myself, in windows that is.

Isn't it possible to run it in OSX through Parallels or VMware Fusion?

(don't have a mac yet, so I can't test it)
skadd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:11 AM   #13
OldCorpse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skadd View Post
I can't live without AxCrypt myself, in windows that is.

Isn't it possible to run it in OSX through Parallels or VMware Fusion?

(don't have a mac yet, so I can't test it)
I'm not sure if it can be done, but even so, I need to encrypt files and folders in OS X - how would that work when I'm in the OS X environment... sure, when I switch to the windows that's fine for files generated there, but what about stuff generated in OS X?

Anyhow, there is nothing on OS X that's within a thousand light years of what AxCrypt does on windows... sad, but true.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:23 AM   #14
skadd
macrumors member

I have the impression that Mac users are more willingly to pay for software, so I don't see why anyone wouldn't make something similar for OS X.
skadd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:04 PM   #15
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Espionage - uses tricks to hide the fact encrypted folders are really disk images.

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

I agree encrypted folders would be handy, but a small disk image is not too bad. I keep a seperate one for each year of statements and put the disk image files in with the other bill stuff. Double-click, enter the password (can have finder auto-remember if you want) and see the disk/folder in the sidebar.

I don't know how Windows does it (never having seen it - since it doesn't come in Home and work doesn't use it) - but encrypted disks are good at keeping the files in the trash encrypted, and the slack space in files encrypted, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:35 PM   #16
unixfool
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to unixfool Send a message via Yahoo to unixfool
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Linux ports?
unixfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac