Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheese1756

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Ok, so today I noticed my keyboard was a little gross so I decided to clean it with some soap and water. I dabbed a little on a paper towel and wiped down the keys. The keyboard was still pretty nasty, so I put a little bit of water on the keyboard, drop by drop, and wiped it down. Then, the keyboard stopped working. I have already checked if mouse keys is on and it isn't. Does anyone know an easy way to fix this? All help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am currently typing this on an external keyboard, which is a bit of a pain.

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
First, what I am going to say is NOT a joke. Besides you have nothing to lose...

Put it in the dishwasher in the top rack. Start the dishwasher on the rinse cycle with no soap. Do not open the dishwasher until the drying cycle has completed. Take out your keyboard and turn it upside down on a towel for a couple of days. (DO NOT RUSH THAT PART) Chances are your keyboard will be as good as new, unless you short circuited it already trying what you did...

DO NOT DO THIS WITH A LAPTOP

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Wait...is this a Macbook where the keyboard is not removable or an iBook of sorts with a removable keyboard?

If the former...good luck, something inside probably got wet via the cutouts in the top case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.