Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Do you all know - what kind of cable would I need if I wanted to hook iPad up to a regular television to watch movies?

Also - I'm confused about the charging adapter. It looks to me like what the iPad ships with is just the capability to charge via USB with your computer. Is that right? If I want to be able to charge from an electrical outlet I need to buy an additional adapter? I'm presuming it can't be used with the wall charger for an iPhone or MacBook.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Do you all know - what kind of cable would I need if I wanted to hook iPad up to a regular television to watch movies?

Also - I'm confused about the charging adapter. It looks to me like what the iPad ships with is just the capability to charge via USB with your computer. Is that right? If I want to be able to charge from an electrical outlet I need to buy an additional adapter? I'm presuming it can't be used with the wall charger for an iPhone or MacBook.
you can charge it from a outlet, it comes in the box,i called and asked as I bought a dock :)

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Hmmm - I continue to be confused. It looks like the iPad is supposed to ship with the 10W USB power adapter, which is the same accessory they are selling for $29. I guess they're selling it in case people need an extra one?

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter
The iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter lets you connect your iPad to a TV, monitor, projector, or LCD that uses a VGA connector or cable so you can watch slideshows and movies.
$29.00

perhaps that could get you to a TV set

I think you are correct about the power adapter. the accessory is described, the other is not
use this ultracompact and convenient USB-based power adapter to charge your iPad at home, on the road, or whenever it's not connected to a computer. You can connect the adapter directly to your iPad or to an iPad Dock.
Featuring a compact design, this power adapter offers fast, efficient charging and includes a 6-foot-long power cord so you can plug it in under a desk or behind the couch. It also charges iPhone and all iPod models with a dock connector.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter

perhaps that could get you to a TV set

I think you are correct about the power adapter. the accessory is described, the other is not

Yeah, maybe the separate accessory also gets you the 6 foot cable (I have one anyway from my MacBook, so I don't really need that). Guess I will order without the adapter. I can always get it later if necessary.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
You don't need a VGA to component converter. Apple sells this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTM3NTAzOTQ

If you have an old TV that doesn't have component input, then you can get a composite cable:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTM3NTA0MDk

Of course the Amazon solution with the VGA adapter is cheaper than the Apple cables!

-steve

Okay, that gives another option. I'll probably think about it for now and order something later. I am wanting this not so much to use at home, but when traveling, which means I probably need to come up with a solution likely to work with "most" TVs because I won't necessarily know in advance what their hook-ups will be.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Okay, that gives another option. I'll probably think about it for now and order something later. I am wanting this not so much to use at home, but when traveling, which means I probably need to come up with a solution likely to work with "most" TVs because I won't necessarily know in advance what their hook-ups will be.

You can almost always count on a composite connection on any TV, but this is the lowest quality connection. $50 for a crappy composite connection strikes me as a bit steep. Actually, $50 for Apple's cables is steep. I am liking the idea of the $30 VGA adapter and with one of Amazon's cables. Has anyone used one of these cheap VGA to xx cables?

*edit* looking closer at Amazon's page, the description is wrong. This is NOT a VGA to component cable. It's a VGA to RGB cable. This will not work with component inputs.

-steve

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
re: power adapter, the iPad ships with a USB -> 30-pin dock connector and a 10W USB AC adapter. Now sure why you'd really want this kit except to have a longer and beefier grounded power cable.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
You can almost always count on a composite connection on any TV, but this is the lowest quality connection. $50 for a crappy composite connection strikes me as a bit steep. Actually, $50 for Apple's cables is steep. I am liking the idea of the $30 VGA adapter and with one of Amazon's cables. Has anyone used one of these cheap VGA to xx cables?

*edit* looking closer at Amazon's page, the description is wrong. This is NOT a VGA to component cable. It's a VGA to RGB cable. This will not work with component inputs.

-steve

Thanks for posting this before I did.... that cable is for some very specialized AV equipment, primarily displays used for NTSC editing monitors on video editing systems. Aside from simple pin-out incompatibility, the iPod from the touch and on require Apple's "special" (DRM) chip in the video cables to work, so you pretty much have to buy them from Apple - the cheap dock connector video cables won't work on newer iPods, and likely not the iPad either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.