Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
suprhb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Install log or similar for applications?

Is there a way to view an install log that shows where every file is placed/created during the install of applications? If not, is there an app which has this functionality?
suprhb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
For most apps in Mac OS X, the only file created is the .app itself, since all the files the app needs are bundled with it. That makes installation/removal of apps a much simpler process with Mac OS X than with Windows. To install, drag the .app file to your Applications folder. To uninstall, drag the .app file to the Trash. It's that simple!

Some apps will create a .plist file that contains user preferences. These take up very little room and have no function if the app is removed. In most cases, you don't need to worry about files getting scattered all over your Mac during installation.

If the app doesn't have it's own uninstall package, you can use apps like AppCleaner or
AppZapper to remove the app and all the files associated with it.

Is there something in particular you're looking for?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3
suprhb
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
For most apps in Mac OS X, the only file created is the .app itself, since all the files the app needs are bundled with it. That makes installation/removal of apps a much simpler process with Mac OS X than with Windows. To install, drag the .app file to your Applications folder. To uninstall, drag the .app file to the Trash. It's that simple!

Some apps will create a .plist file that contains user preferences. These take up very little room and have no function if the app is removed. In most cases, you don't need to worry about files getting scattered all over your Mac during installation.

If the app doesn't have it's own uninstall package, you can use apps like AppCleaner or
AppZapper to remove the app and all the files associated with it.

Is there something in particular you're looking for?
Thank for the reply.

Yes, most apps just have the app file. However there are some which create config files and other misc files elsewhere. Usually bigger applications.
suprhb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:27 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprhb View Post
Thank for the reply.

Yes, most apps just have the app file. However there are some which create config files and other misc files elsewhere. Usually bigger applications.
What app are you talking about? It would help to know exactly what you're looking for.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:36 PM   #5
suprhb
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
It is just a general question for all applications, not one in particular.

I've checked around in system log files but haven't found what I was looking for.

An example would be the Google Chrome browser. It has the .app file and also creates config files in another location.

Last edited by WildCowboy; Mar 12, 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: post merge
suprhb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:48 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprhb View Post
An example would be the Google Chrome browser. It has the .app file and also creates files config files in another location.
No, Chrome only installs a .plist, as I explained before. If you use AppCleaner, it will locate all the files associated with any app. Just drag the .app file to the AppCleaner window and AppCleaner will tell you all the files that are installed that are associated with that app. You don't have to uninstall the app to see the associated files.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	217967

Last edited by GGJstudios; Mar 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:56 PM   #7
suprhb
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
There are other files created during install. In /Library/application support.
suprhb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:57 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprhb View Post
There are other files created during install. In /Library/application support.
I see those now. The cache folder and the history/cookies/themes/dictionaries. Good to know AppCleaner misses those.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:05 PM   #9
suprhb
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	files.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	217969

So back to the original question. Is there a system log anywhere that provides info on files created during installation, or an app that provides this functionality?

Last edited by WildCowboy; Mar 12, 2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: post merge
suprhb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:21 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
After doing some testing, both AppCleaner and AppZapper leave the Library files/folders behind. I'm guessing they don't search system files, in the same way Finder/Spotlight won't search system files, unless specifically directed to do so. To answer your question, there doesn't appear to be any application that will identify or delete all the files/folders, including system files/folders, that are created by an application. Like you, if there is, I'd like to know about it.

Uninstalling Applications in Mac OS X - Mac Guides
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:06 PM   #11
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
There is nothing to create a log when you are simply dragging .apps into /Applications.

Chrome creates those files, like com.google.Chrome.plist on first run.

Now, during a package installation you can do the following, when the Installer window is up.

File --> Show Files , Command + I
This will show you the files that will be installed and where. You can search for specific files

Window --> Installer Log, Command + L
This is the log of what Installer is doing. From this window you can Save, Print, and Send to Apple. You can also search.

This is only for packages created with PackageMaker, I am sure VISE has equivalents.
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generate install log rameshthakur OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Jan 30, 2013 07:43 AM
Web Slices - Site Snapshots: Similar applications IllmasterMath Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 16, 2012 04:36 PM
Applications Set To Automatically Open During Log-In on MacBook Pro mac.fanatic MacBook Pro 2 Aug 13, 2012 05:42 PM
ML and Log-out problems for the applications sevimli OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Aug 4, 2012 11:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC