Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
It will never come to Mac. Macs dont have the best USB2 implementation (only the most recent Macs even have USB2) plus there are already better Firewire solutions out there that record higher quality (DV) signals.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Speaking of video capture and DV solutions, what are peoples' thoughts on using a DV camcorder with analog pass-thru instead of a dedicated analog-to-DV device? I still have some old VHS tapes that I'd like to cap and put onto DVDs (using iMovie/iDVD) and of course I'd also like to be able to watch TV on my Mac and to record shows (PVR). But for the price of the converter boxes I've seen (around $200-300) for just another $100 you can get a brand name (JVC) miniDV camcorder which would also be able to record your own videos.

I'm just wondering about the conversion quality of such a non-dedicated device versus one of the non-camcorder ones. Any thoughts?

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
crazzyeddie said:
It will never come to Mac. Macs dont have the best USB2 implementation (only the most recent Macs even have USB2) plus there are already better Firewire solutions out there that record higher quality (DV) signals.

True but they all cost 2 to 3 times as much. And USB-2 is now standard on all Macs- My machine is a year old and has USB-2 plus USB-2 market penetration on PC systems is no better than in the Mac Market (imho.)

I don't think it would be long before a mac equivalent might become available.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.