Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Lyle
macrumors 68000

How to export a single (segmented) GarageBand track as multiple songs?

I'm trying to digitize an audio cassette recording that has multiple songs; I want to end up with a collection of MP3 files. I've hit a snag and wonder if there's a way to recover at this point, or if I'm going to need to start over.

I imported the entire recording as a "track" in GarageBand, by running an audio cable from the cassette player's headphone jack into my iMac's microphone jack. This worked fine. Then I went back and split the track into various regions (i.e. one region per song), trimming out dead space in-between songs and so forth as I went along.

When I go to GarageBand's "Share" menu and try to export the song to iTunes, it's wanting to send over the entire track's contents. There is no immediately obvious way to select one region and tell GB "export this as song1.mp3" and then select a different region and say "export this one as song2.mp3".

Am I screwed? If so, if I need to start over, what is it that I want to do differently this time? If I'm not completely screwed, what can I do to recover at this point? (Wondering if I have to create multiple GB projects, one each per song, and then see if I can "copy" individual regions from this original project into the new ones).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Lyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:44 AM   #2
deej999
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
I'm trying to digitize an audio cassette recording that has multiple songs; I want to end up with a collection of MP3 files. I've hit a snag and wonder if there's a way to recover at this point, or if I'm going to need to start over.

I imported the entire recording as a "track" in GarageBand, by running an audio cable from the cassette player's headphone jack into my iMac's microphone jack. This worked fine. Then I went back and split the track into various regions (i.e. one region per song), trimming out dead space in-between songs and so forth as I went along.

When I go to GarageBand's "Share" menu and try to export the song to iTunes, it's wanting to send over the entire track's contents. There is no immediately obvious way to select one region and tell GB "export this as song1.mp3" and then select a different region and say "export this one as song2.mp3".

Am I screwed? If so, if I need to start over, what is it that I want to do differently this time? If I'm not completely screwed, what can I do to recover at this point? (Wondering if I have to create multiple GB projects, one each per song, and then see if I can "copy" individual regions from this original project into the new ones).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You've done everything right, but after splitting the tracks into regions put each region onto it's own real instrument track.

Solo one track at a time and adjust the end of project length in the Ruler Bar.

Go to share menu and export the song.

Unsolo the track and Repeat this for every other track.

deej
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Lyle
macrumors 68000

Thanks, deej999! This worked like a charm.
Lyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Arrandale
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
Thanks, deej999! This worked like a charm.
this was much more work than you needed to do

in the future, just enable the 'cycle region' (the loopy arrow at the end of the transport controls)

drag the cycle region (appears as a yellow strip at the top of the timeline) to encompass your desired section to export

... and export... only the cycle region will be exported... no multiple track and dreary solo/unsolo business
Arrandale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Gwyneth Llewely
macrumors newbie

Location: Neufreistadt, Confederation of the Democratic Simulators, Second Life
Send a message via ICQ to Gwyneth Llewely Send a message via AIM to Gwyneth Llewely Send a message via MSN to Gwyneth Llewely Send a message via Yahoo to Gwyneth Llewely Send a message via Skype™ to Gwyneth Llewely
Thanks!

Wow thanks, @Arrandale! This old article of yours has made me save precious hours of work. Can you believe that most forums/discussion groups all forget to mention this nice little trick of yours?

You deserve a medal!

15" MacBook from 2007, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Gwyneth Llewely is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio