Right click using keyboard? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
northernpaul
macrumors member

Right click using keyboard?

Hi

I'm a reasonably experienced Mac user, but there is one thing that I'm yet to figure out: how to invoke the right click menu using the keyboard only.

I have a MBP, so I understand that I can just tap the trackpad area with 2 fingers, however I'd love to be able to tap a 'right click' button, as I do at work on my Windows keyboard. Since my MBP doesn't have such a button, I wondered if there was a keyboard shortcut that I could invoke to replicate this functionality?

An example of when this would be very useful is when I'm typing something, and have spelt a word wrong. To be able to bring up the menu of alternatives, at the moment I need to move my hands from the keyboard, navigate the mouse pointer to the word, right click and then move my hands back to the trackpad. It hardly takes more than a second or two, however it does annoy me slightly (especially since my spelling is pretty bad!).

So - 1) Is there a way to do this natively? 2) If not, is there a way to program a shortcut using OSX/ Launchbar? Ideally, I'd like to be able to assign Control + Space to right click.

Thanks in advance
northernpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:37 AM   #2
yotd
macrumors member

I've been looking for this too. One of the things I miss about Windows (I've been a concurrent Windows and Mac user for a while) is the ability to work with menus (including context-menu) with the keyboard. The provision in Mac OS isn't up to scratch (and keyboard shortcuts don't cut it in all circumstances).
yotd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Z06jerry
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpaul View Post
Since my MBP doesn't have such a button, I wondered if there was a keyboard shortcut that I could invoke to replicate this functionality?

... Is there a way to do this natively?
Control + click
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06jerry View Post
Control + click
That does involve the mouse/trackpad. The OP wants a way to use the keyboard only.

Here is a solution if you have a numeric keyboard.
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-138825.html
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:57 AM   #5
yotd
macrumors member

Quote:
Control + click
I would have thought that's a given. What I'm talking about (and what I think the OP is talking about) is the ability to bring up a context-menu without using the mouse/trackpad in any way. A Windows keyboard has a special key for it.

I don't think it's possible because of the way focus works differently in Mac OS and Windows.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Z06jerry
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotd View Post
I would have thought that's a given. What I'm talking about (and what I think the OP is talking about) is the ability to bring up a context-menu without using the mouse/trackpad in any way. A Windows keyboard has a special key for it.

I don't think it's possible because of the way focus works differently in Mac OS and Windows.
OK, I understand you want to use only the keyboard. On a laptop its such a natural way to access the contextual menu while leaving your fingers free to scroll the trackpad, no?

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with Apple's Control + click?

The OP is asking for a control + space keyboard shortcut, while the trackpad click is so close by. Maybe the OP is unable to use the trackpad to click.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:02 AM   #7
northernpaul
macrumors member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what's wrong with Apple's Control + click?
Because when you control and click, the Mac right clicks where-ever the pointer is hovering over. When you press the right click button on Windows, it right clicks at the cursor. BIG difference when text editing.

(for information, I can use the trackpad to click without any issues, but it's an inferior alternative from a usability point of view in circumstances such as text editing)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Z06jerry
macrumors regular

Quote:
Because when you control and click, the Mac right clicks where-ever the pointer is hovering over. When you press the right click button on Windows, it right clicks at the cursor. BIG difference when text editing.
Not to beat a dead horse, but how would the keyboard shortcut - control + space be better than the control + click?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:17 AM   #9
northernpaul
macrumors member

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but how would the keyboard shortcut - control + space be better than the control + click?
I'd assume it would take its location cue from the cursor, rather than the mouse?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Z06jerry
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'd assume it would take its location cue from the cursor, rather than the mouse?
Right clicking the mouse and control + click on the keyboard are the same, they both locate the contextual menu at the curser. How would a control + shift keyboard shortcut be different?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:48 AM   #11
yotd
macrumors member

Quote:
Right clicking the mouse and control + click on the keyboard are the same, they both locate the contextual menu at the curser. How would a control + shift keyboard shortcut be different?
As posted above, on Windows it would be wherever focus is (for example a caret in a word processing document), not necessarily where the cursor is.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:17 AM   #12
Z06jerry
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think that would be an incorrect assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotd View Post
As posted above, on Windows it would be wherever focus is (for example a caret in a word processing document), not necessarily where the cursor is.
Adding a new keyboard shortcut in OSX will not change the behaviour of the contextual menu in OSX to replicate the way it works in Windows.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:52 PM   #13
zzoltan
macrumors newbie

...i've been looking for this keyboard shortcut for a while now, but nothing. some hints from advanced users would be appreciated... from very advanced ones
zzoltan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro