Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 6, 2004, 02:34 PM   #1
chewedpen
macrumors member

Mac to TV

I would like to buy a mac laptop or a g5 desktop and be able to hook it up to a tv through the dvi connection. I am looking at the Plasmas or even the DLP's. I would like to use it as a large monitor for surfing the web, looking at pictures and so on. The problem I am having is that no one seems to be able to tell me if the cable exists, what type of interface that I would need on the tv or even what to look for, if the mac will even have a clue that it is hooked up to a tv and what display resolutions I would get, and last but not least what will it look like? Will I be able to even read what the text is on the display ?

Thanks for any and all input ?
chewedpen is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2004, 02:55 PM   #2
solvs
macrumors 601

The PowerBooks and G5s have DVI-out. That should work fine with any DVI-in, but you may want to e-mail the manufacturer to ask if they accept DVI-in from a computer, as I've heard some have problems with that. Don't bother mentioning the Mac in the first e-mail. Some companies hear Mac, and don't know anything about it, so they say it's unsupported. But any device that accepts a standard DVI-in from a computer should work. If the devices you are looking at can be used as computer displays, it will work fine.

The PowerBooks have S-Video, and the G5s have an adapter for TV-out. If the displays don't accept standard DVI, S-Video or RCA should work. Although the quality probably won't be as good as DVI.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 03:00 PM   #3
vraxtus
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to vraxtus
Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
The PowerBooks and G5s have DVI-out. That should work fine with any DVI-in, but you may want to e-mail the manufacturer to ask if they accept DVI-in from a computer, as I've heard some have problems with that. Don't bother mentioning the Mac in the first e-mail. Some companies hear Mac, and don't know anything about it, so they say it's unsupported. But any device that accepts a standard DVI-in from a computer should work. If the devices you are looking at can be used as computer displays, it will work fine.

The PowerBooks have S-Video, and the G5s have an adapter for TV-out. If the displays don't accept standard DVI, S-Video or RCA should work. Although the quality probably won't be as good as DVI.
You can buy DVI to S-video converters
Old Sep 6, 2004, 03:14 PM   #4
The Past
macrumors 6502

Display Options

A large screen display, in my opinion, is not the ideal solution for surfing. Now, for watching pics, yes, that makes sense. The reason I say this is because if you want to sit at a sufficient distance from the display (say, a 42-inch in my case), you will have your resolution set such that you are not getting really any additional desktop than you would get in your 17-inch PB. But, if you want to make a presentation (e.g, displaying graphics) or make a slideshow as you suggest, yes, it is wonderful. I use my 42 for FCP and that I really like. Of course, make sure you have the screen saver running every now and then for a couple of minutes.

You can go a couple of routes -- DVI, VGA/RGB (monitors also designed for computer usage typically have one and in the front too), or S-Video. On a few models that do clearly state that the DVI is not intended for computers, I have gone ahead and plugged my PB all the same (for a short duration) and had acceptable results. If you have a DVI-HDMI converter, your options expand even with the newer monitors.

Between, DLP and Plasma or LCD, I prefer Plasma (first) and then LCD. May be it is just me, I have had unacceptable results with DLP. Fonts appear a bit smudgy and so do some curves on faces. Besides, if you want to work quietly with your display, the DLP fan noise is a factor too. Can get annoying, if you are a obsessed with a quiet setting as I am.

In terms of compatibility, I have so far not come across a display intended for a TV that was not plug-and-play with my PB.

Last edited by The Past; Sep 6, 2004 at 03:16 PM.
The Past is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:50 PM   #5
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxtus
You can buy DVI to S-video converters
That's the adapter I was talking about for the G5. It's about $20. I don't think it would work for the PowerBook, though I don't know why. Doesn't matter because the PowerBook has S-Video out built-in anyway.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 05:07 AM   #6
vraxtus
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to vraxtus
Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
That's the adapter I was talking about for the G5. It's about $20. I don't think it would work for the PowerBook, though I don't know why. Doesn't matter because the PowerBook has S-Video out built-in anyway.

Not the 12".

For that you can get this.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers