Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:44 PM   #1
fenix1
macrumors newbie

Email Campaign tools for Mac?

I have a small photography business and I want a simple program(Im not a programmer) to send a nice flyer I have made to potential customers that I have talked to on the phone. I have found many services online that offer this service but the prices are kind of ridiculous. I want a program that i can connect to the server of my website, and create a template email(my own design)to send to the people I talk to.

Any suggestions?
fenix1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Buzz Bumble

How many customers / flyers are you sending??

Just using a Group in Mail and a PDF attachment might work, although some Internet providers set limits as to how many addresses you can send to at teh same time (for example, one provider here only allows 100 address at once, so for a 200 email group I would have to send two or three emails) ... setting up separate groups solves this fairly easily.

If you need more flexibility, then MailChimp.com has a free account for up to 500 subscribers and sending up to 3,000 emails a month. You can use their HTML format or simply store a JPEG of the flyer on a web server (ImageShack is free) and then insert the image into the MailChimp email.
Buzz Bumble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:26 AM   #3
fenix1
macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply.

I have been using mail chimp and its actually pretty cool. The only thing is it puts a logo at the bottom of my emails that says"powered by mail chimp"
which is kind of annoying. I think eventually I just need a email campaign app built on my server.
fenix1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
decksnap
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix1 View Post
thanks for the reply.

I have been using mail chimp and its actually pretty cool. The only thing is it puts a logo at the bottom of my emails that says"powered by mail chimp"
which is kind of annoying. I think eventually I just need a email campaign app built on my server.
Well the logo is the cost of using their free product. If you shell out the few dollars to paid, I believe you can remove the logo. You could also try Constant Contact, which is similar and only something like 15 bucks a month.

If building your own app you should think about what functionality it really entails - link tracking/analytics and managing opt-outs, etc.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix1 View Post
thanks for the reply.

The cost of building your own solution is going to far outweigh the monthly cost of using a service.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:45 PM   #6
memco
macrumors regular

If you are looking for a program to DIY check out Maxbulk mailer.
memco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Buzz Bumble

A simple solution could be to use FileMaker Pro. You could set it up to send 100 (or whatever) emails at a time or even one at a time from the addresses.

The real problem with doing it yourself wil be the restrictions by the Internet service provider on a normal account (ie. not a big-business, high priced account) - whether they block a single email going to "too many" people at once, or whether they block you account if you send more than X emails within a certain timeframe, etc. The cheaper accounts usually don't allow you to run an internet server (web, FTP, Usenet, email, file "sharing", etc.).
Buzz Bumble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:45 AM   #8
zlinuk
macrumors member

We use Campaign Monitor and have found the service to be excellent.
zlinuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:04 AM   #9
design-is
macrumors 65816

As you're already using it, I'd stick with MailChimp. I use it and it hasn't failed me yet.

As mentioned above, if you don't like the logo, pay the low fee.

Let us know how you get on and what you choose

/Doug
design-is is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:09 AM   #10
designresults
macrumors member

Campaign Monitor

I use these guys: http://www.campaignmonitor.com/

It works great, and there is a lot of tracking, and it's low cost. You should check it out.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:55 PM   #11
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

+ 1 for MailChimp if not already suggested.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:55 PM   #12
arkiebell2
macrumors newbie

mailchimp for IPads?

Someone at our farmer's market had a program on his iPad that allowed his customers to enter their own email addresses so they could get their newsletter&/or a notification email as to when they would be back to that market. They said what it was but the name was not MailChimp. It was a funny name and he said this was the one to use on the iPad and the MailChimp was for the droid technology. I can't find this anywhere.
arkiebell2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 01:15 PM   #13
KonaMacMike
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to KonaMacMike
+1 for campaign monitor.
Works great
KonaMacMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development