Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 6, 2004, 04:04 PM   #1
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crap freakboy
iTunes opens itself??

Bit of an odd one, over the last two weeks I've returned to my Sawtooth G4 to find iTunes open on my desktop. Not actually playing, just showing my playlist/library.
Now it doesnt really worry me...it's just plain weird and I wondered if anyone else has come across this type of behaviour from an application.
FYI just usually sleep it or leave it running all day, its only my home mac on cable broadband, firewall on....not a real security issue. Panther up-to-date.
Any insights?

pudong50member
crap freakboy is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2004, 06:09 PM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

some possibilities:

You have a recurring appointment in iCal that has a sound file attached to it.

Somebody broke in, sneaked over to your desk and maliciously hooked up an iPod while you weren't looking.

A folder action is set up to open stuff in a folder, and one of those items is iTunes or a sound file.

Oh yeah: do you have one of those Logitech keyboards with 5 bazillion extra buttons on it? Maybe a media key is sticking.

Last edited by iMeowbot; Sep 6, 2004 at 06:12 PM.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Sep 6, 2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Sweetfeld28
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Sweetfeld28
if you happen to have an ipod, and you have it plugged in when you startup, itunes can open automatically to update your songs.

This is if you have an iPod.

If you do and want to turn it off do this:

when itunes is open an iPod is attached, click on the button with the little iPod picture on it (this is the options for the iPod when attached). On the dialog box there should be a check box, uncheck the one that says Open iTunes when attached.

problem solved.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 07:42 PM   #4
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
This probably isn't the solution, but its worth checking into...under the User Accounts Sys Pref, check and see if iTunes is set to open when you log in. Maybe that is doing something.
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:31 AM   #5
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
some possibilities:

You have a recurring appointment in iCal that has a sound file attached to it.

Somebody broke in, sneaked over to your desk and maliciously hooked up an iPod while you weren't looking.

A folder action is set up to open stuff in a folder, and one of those items is iTunes or a sound file.

Oh yeah: do you have one of those Logitech keyboards with 5 bazillion extra buttons on it? Maybe a media key is sticking.
Don't use iCal...I have no life
My iPod is only attached when I need to update.
mmm folder action..maybe.

pudong50member
Old Sep 7, 2004, 04:36 AM   #6
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklos
This probably isn't the solution, but its worth checking into...under the User Accounts Sys Pref, check and see if iTunes is set to open when you log in. Maybe that is doing something.
'Fraid no joy. Although I've changed permissions.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions...perhaps it's something I'll have to live with, no big deal really, just strange.

pudong50member
Old Sep 7, 2004, 05:23 AM   #7
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

G...GH...GH..GH.....GHO....GHOSTS!!

Do you have a brother/roommate, or anyone who could play music on your computer and not close iTunes after they're done using it?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 06:12 AM   #8
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
G...GH...GH..GH.....GHO....GHOSTS!!

Do you have a brother/roommate, or anyone who could play music on your computer and not close iTunes after they're done using it?
naw...only my 3 year old daughter, but shes got her own account that I always login to when I've finished on the mac (although she can login herself ). Anyways, the last time iTunes sprung to life she was fall asleep in bed.

pudong50member
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:09 AM   #9
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

P2P networks running downloading music? and then adding it to iTunes automatically?
Old Sep 8, 2004, 06:05 PM   #10
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Okay, things have just got weirder.

About 7pm tonight I put my mac to sleep, 11.45pm awaken it so I can transfer some files from the internal HD to the external Lacie, which incidently holds all 37GB of iTunes mp3's AND 3 years of jpegs of my daughter since she was born. So, G4 wakes up and lo and behold itunes is open with my fav playlist open....it DEFINATELY wasn't before it was put to sleep. Anyway, i shrug it off and transfer the 500Mb of this weeks pics to the Lacoe. Then do a quick visual check that they have transferred. Yeap, all well and good....so I put the originals in the Trash, then notice thatin the trash window tehre are 4 Mp3's....WTF???
All four were added to my fav playlist yesterday....but I know for certain this afternoon I emptied the trash which was full crap Illustrator files (currently relearning CS).
Now, call me paranoid but this talk of a tojan mp3 file earlier this year, anything developed from it? I seem to remember the conclusion was it wasnt a threat beyond theory.

Either way I think I'll back up the remaining 15000 pics I havebt hardcopied to CD yet.

pudong50member
Old Sep 8, 2004, 06:33 PM   #11
fuijin
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to fuijin
Quote:
Originally Posted by crap freakboy
Okay, things have just got weirder.

About 7pm tonight I put my mac to sleep, 11.45pm awaken it so I can transfer some files from the internal HD to the external Lacie, which incidently holds all 37GB of iTunes mp3's AND 3 years of jpegs of my daughter since she was born. So, G4 wakes up and lo and behold itunes is open with my fav playlist open....it DEFINATELY wasn't before it was put to sleep. Anyway, i shrug it off and transfer the 500Mb of this weeks pics to the Lacoe. Then do a quick visual check that they have transferred. Yeap, all well and good....so I put the originals in the Trash, then notice thatin the trash window tehre are 4 Mp3's....WTF???
All four were added to my fav playlist yesterday....but I know for certain this afternoon I emptied the trash which was full crap Illustrator files (currently relearning CS).
Now, call me paranoid but this talk of a tojan mp3 file earlier this year, anything developed from it? I seem to remember the conclusion was it wasnt a threat beyond theory.

Either way I think I'll back up the remaining 15000 pics I havebt hardcopied to CD yet.
Why not just back up ur files and restore/reinstall the OS? that should work.
fuijin is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2004, 02:55 AM   #12
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuijin
Why not just back up ur files and restore/reinstall the OS? that should work.
aye could do...but thats last chance saloon imo.

pudong50member

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers