Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
So, I'm really leaning towards buying an iPad. But, the one thing holding me back is my confusion over the keyboard dock. Does it require that it's plugged into an AC outlet to use the keyboard?

If it requires being plugged in, I'm going to just forger it and pass on the iPad. But, if I can use it straight-up with the iPad without being plugged into an outlet, then I'll definetly get an iPad. It would be perfect for taking notes in class. If I can carry the iPad & keyboard dock in by backpack & use them straight up that would be sweet!

Do you guys know? What do you think?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple's write up is a bit ambiguous about the need for an external power source but if I had to guess I'd say the keyboard could draw power from the iPad and didn't have to be plugged in. Maybe if you call the 800 Apple Store # they could give you a more definitive answer.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
you wont havr to plug it into the wall. i think that the only time you need to have it pluged in is when charging. being that battery life is 10 hours

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
According to its description it has a 30 pin connector which means it doesn't have to be plugged in.

Yes, but it also doesn't exclude that it would need USB power from a computer either. It doesn't really say if the keyboard needs external power or can use the iPad's battery. I assume the later, but Apple isn't confirming.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
I'd be willing to bet the $69 it cost for the keyboard that no external power will be needed. No dock connecting accessory I have every come across has required external power, well except for powered speakers of course. How much power could a keyboard possibly need??

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
This sounds like it doesn't require power, but you can charge the iPad while it's connected.

From the Apple iPad Tech Specs page:

The dock has a rear dock connector port, which lets you connect to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
I'm thinking that it could draw power from the ipad, but apple had done crazier things in the past. I do agree the writeup is a bit shady which makes me think they aren't telling us something...

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Since when does a keyboard need power?

I had a Targus keyboard for my HP Jornada back in the day. It did not require power, however, you could plug the power adapter to the keyboard so the Jornada could be charged. I guessed this dock would be the same thing.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Since when does a keyboard need power?

I had a Targus keyboard for my HP Jornada back in the day. It did not require power, however, you could plug the power adapter to the keyboard so the Jornada could be charged. I guessed this dock would be the same thing.

All keyboards have a little controller in them, so they do, in fact, require power. Normally the power is provided by the USB or PS/2 connection.

I"m sure there is logic in the iPad keyboard dock that will also require power, but can it get it from the iPad or internal batteries?

-steve

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
As Ams said above, you could just get a wireless bluetooth keyboard (same price as the keyboard dock) and pair it with the iPad stand-case.

With the bluetooth keyboard you also wouldn't need the iPad to be in front of you — you would have the option to lay the iPad flat (on the table or on the seat next to you), and just glance down at it to check the notes from the keyboard are being recorded correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.