Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:04 PM   #1
m4rc
macrumors 6502

USB Modem to Airport Extreme

Probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything when searching. A mate has a new PB and an Airport Extreme Base Station. He has Broadband via a USB ADSL modem, which is currently connected to a PC. Is the USB port on the base station usable with this modem? I thought not, but can't see any other way for him to get the internet onto his PB without buying a new modem with an ethernet port.

Any suggestions that may help?
m4rc is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:22 PM   #2
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
Well, he could buy a wireless card for the PC and share the connection out to the PowerBook. That should be possible. I know it is the other way around anyways. Maybe thats a Windoze limitation, idk... Wireless cards are cheap so it wouldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, just sell it on eBay and get your money back.
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 01:24 PM   #3
stoid
macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, the USB port on all of Apple's Base Stations support only wireless printing.
stoid is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Funkatation
macrumors regular

I ran into a problem like that before... I just called the ISP and told them I don't have a USB port, and they sent me a Ethernet version of the modem

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers