Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I've had a 1tb western digital hard drive for over a year. In which time I've used it to capture hours upon hours of hdv footage through fcp on my old macbook, with out any problems.

However I have recently bought a brand new imac and when I tried to set the same hdd as my scratch disk, in fcp, a msg comes up saying "The selected disk is formatted using FAT32 which has a 4gb file size limit." And sure enough when i try to copy a file which has a size greater than 4gb on to the drive "the operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occured (error code 0)" pops up!!

If any one can give a solution and an explanation as to how this has happened it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Sounds about right, reformat as HFS+ or NTFS if you need to use bigger files, though they are only Mac/Windows compatible (at least without further software) respectively.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What format (file system) does it use then?

Either check via Get Info in Finder or Disk Utility.

MacOSX_HD-Get_Info_window-S.png

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Fat32 has a maximum file size of 4gb, just like it says. You will need to reformat to either NTFS or MacOS Extended.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It's formatted FAT32, it says it in the OP.

FCP said the HDD is formatted with FAT32, not the system per se, and as the OP mentioned capturing HDV with that HDD before, and FCP and a MacBook, I assumed FCP might give an error.

Thus the question, what format the external HDD uses, to get a clearer picture.

joemac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
cheers for the replies guys.

the drive is formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32). Its not just a fcp error because I've tried copying large files from my mac hdd on to the external with no luck.

I'm going to try reformatting the drive now, I'll let you know how I get on. I don't suppose any one can tell me how the drives format changed by simply connecting it to a new imac??

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
cheers for the replies guys.

the drive is formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32). Its not just a fcp error because I've tried copying large files from my mac hdd on to the external with no luck.

I'm going to try reformatting the drive now, I'll let you know how I get on. I don't suppose any one can tell me how the drives format changed by simply connecting it to a new imac??

When you used that HDD with your MacBook, what were the largest files on there?
Was it in the Mac OS Extended format (HFS+), otherwise how could have used it with FCP and HDV video?

Did you erase the HDD in between?

Or is there data still on it?

joemac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I'm not sure what format the HDD was in before but used it to store huge fcp files, plus many other files from my macbook and the macpros at my uni for well over a year. All I did was plug it in to my new imac and it appears to have changed the format with out deleting or corrupting any of the files on it?!

I've formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journal) now and it's working fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.