Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Closed Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:24 AM   #1
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Apple's Steve Jobs to be Jabbed in New TV Show

Quote:
Somewhere, Bill Gates is breathing a sigh of relief that for once, he isn't the tech guru who's the target of a new sharp-edged parody.

Entertainment mastermind Larry Charles has never been afraid to take humorous jabs at society's establishment, be it in the form American politics (the Sacha Baron Cohen vehicle, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"), religion (Bill Maher's documentary, "Religulous") or via shows about nothing (he was a writer for "Seinfeld"). Now, Charles is set to oversee a project that lampoons someone possibly more powerful than any political or religious leader: Apple founder and CEO Steve Jobs.

Deadline.com is reporting that Charles will helm a TV pilot that takes on the notoriously private and serious-minded computer maven. The show, titled "iCon," is written by Dan Lyons and will air on upstart pay television network Epix. "iCon" is being pitched as a "savage satire centering on a fictional Silicon Valley CEO whose ego is a study in power and greed."

Charles may give the tech industry a taste of what he gave the entertainment industry with his involvement in the first two seasons of HBO's "Entourage," a series that was part-fiction, part-non-fiction in that it involved real-life showbiz figures (James Cameron being but one example) interacting in entirely plausible Hollywood situations.

Sure, based on that pitch alone, it could be a stretch linking the show directly to Steve Jobs, considering there are more than a few Silicon Valley CEOs who easily fit that description. But the fact that Lyons is attached to the show leaves little doubt, as he is no stranger to the new media behemoth that is Steve Jobs. The Newsweek writer and former senior editor at Forbes magazine is the author of "Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs -- A Parody." From 2006 to 2008, Lyons also wrote anonymous blog under the pseudonym "Fake Steve Jobs." He was "outed" as the writer behind the cult-favorite site in 2007.

Tech blogs are more than skeptical that Steve Jobs will anything other than irate with the idea of being parodied. Reportedly, Jobs was so furious with Lyons' last piece of work, "Options," that he allegedly removed all copies of the book from the shelves of Apple Stores.

Job's sense of humor may not extend to self-parody, but Charles believes his "iCon" will have a massive impact on modern culture: He compares his latest project to what is considered by critics to be one of the greatest films of all time. "We are attempting to do nothing less than a modern 'Citizen Kane' -- scabrous satire of Silicon Valley and its most famous citizen."

As of this writing Apple has yet to respond to a request for comment.
LINK

Never heard of the network this is going to air on, but it sounds like it could be really funny.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
spinnerlys

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=879759
spinnerlys is offline   0
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:39 AM   #3
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Sorry for the repeat all. I didn't look for this in community I only checked current events. For the mods, please feel free to wasteland this one.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events