Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1
wyattbiker
macrumors member

Creating a standard FTP Server user and sandboxing in them in virtual shares

Can I create a Standard user (not an admin) whom I can give access to certain shares through the Mac OS X Server Snow FTP Server? When I try to FTP through Cyberduck, it does not allow them to login. If I change it the user to admin, I can FTP into that user but then he has access to all the folders on my server even though I have setup virtual shares in the FTP. Is there some trick to block the user from viewing the full server and sandboxing them to virtual shares that I have setup?

I have been trying to figure this one out but I am dead in the water. I ended for now using CrushFTP which is a fantastic FTP server but still would like to know if the FTP Server supplied with Mac OS X Server Snow can do this because I prefer to use the integrated if they do what I need.

I looked through the manuals but couldn't understand whether this is doable. Any doc pointers that describes this would be appreciated.
wyattbiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
JGruber
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattbiker View Post
Can I create a Standard user (not an admin) whom I can give access to certain shares through the Mac OS X Server Snow FTP Server? When I try to FTP through Cyberduck, it does not allow them to login. If I change it the user to admin, I can FTP into that user but then he has access to all the folders on my server even though I have setup virtual shares in the FTP. Is there some trick to block the user from viewing the full server and sandboxing them to virtual shares that I have setup?

I have been trying to figure this one out but I am dead in the water. I ended for now using CrushFTP which is a fantastic FTP server but still would like to know if the FTP Server supplied with Mac OS X Server Snow can do this because I prefer to use the integrated if they do what I need.

I looked through the manuals but couldn't understand whether this is doable. Any doc pointers that describes this would be appreciated.
In short, yes it is possible, we are doing for about 182 or so kids at school. I'll have to write up a doc on how to do it the right way, I'll post when I have finished it.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:05 PM   #3
wyattbiker
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber View Post
In short, yes it is possible, we are doing for about 182 or so kids at school. I'll have to write up a doc on how to do it the right way, I'll post when I have finished it.
Looking forward to it.

Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:49 AM   #4
wyattbiker
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber View Post
Anything new on the docs
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:34 PM   #5
ehemmete
macrumors newbie

The way I have done this in the past is to set the FTP service to only show home folders. In the FTP setting in Server Admin, under the Advanced tab you can change Authenticated users see: and set it to Home Folder Only. Then when they log in, they are locked in their home folder. You can even remove the standard Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc... if they are only connecting over FTP.
ehemmete is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking