Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 7, 2004, 07:35 PM   #1
harleytat
macrumors newbie

ATI Rage in a G5?

I score music for television, and would love to have a separate TV monitor for my video sync in addition to the 2 displays I'm running now off my Radeon 9600. I have an ATI Rage Theater in my old sawtooth G4, and would love to throw it in my G5 so I could use the video out to get to a TV. Any idea if this would work? Would I risk frying the ATI (or my G5--ouch) if I toss it in there just to see?

If that's a no go, any recommendation on a cheap 'n' easy way to drive a TV from the G5?

thanks in advance...

H
harleytat is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:40 PM   #2
chv400
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to chv400
I'm pretty sure it would work i put an ATI 7000 in to a G5 Xserve and it worked fine so i guess a Rage would work in a G5
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:44 PM   #3
RGunner
macrumors 6502a

Well...

First off, go read up on the ATI rage voltage requirements (I know the G5 is special and only takes 'modern' cards bases on the 2.1 PCI spec).

Secondly, even if it did work (I am betting no, without doing some homework), doesnt that card need OS9 to output to TV? (ie can you output on your G4 to a TV in OSX?). The G5 will only support OSX and I know you wont be able to change that!!

Lastly, the ATI 7000 Mac Edition, the ATI 9200 Mac Edition is about your only choice for 3 displays (two from the G5 supported AGP card and the third from the ATI PCI add in card.

Hope this helps, I may have a 7000 Mac Edition to sell to the forum members later this week...

Best
RGunner is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 08:55 PM   #4
RGunner
macrumors 6502a

Okay...

I do not see a Rage Theater card, I have found that the Rage Theater chipset is on some PCI cards, but not sure what model you have?

http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/
RGunner is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:20 PM   #5
solvs
macrumors 601

Apple sells a TV-out adapter for all of the G5s video cards. It uses the DVI port. It's about $20. If you have a DVI or VGA monitor, you can buy an adapter for the ADC port for about $30. Cheaper than a new PCI card. The Rage probably wouldn't work anyway.

If you want to use both monitors and the TV-out, best to get a Radeon 7000 or 9200 PCI.

You can always try e-mailing ATI to find out, but I think it's not the right voltage.

Last edited by solvs; Sep 7, 2004 at 09:25 PM.
solvs is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:22 PM   #6
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytat
Would I risk frying the ATI (or my G5--ouch) if I toss it in there just to see?

If that's a no go, any recommendation on a cheap 'n' easy way to drive a TV from the G5?

thanks in advance...

H
Yes you would risk your G5?

"The AGP bus is 1.5 V only and is not backward compatible. Older AGP cards will not work in the Power Mac G5 computer."

Why not just spend the $19 and get an Apple DVI to Video Adapter (that's made for the G5s) from an Apple Store?

It's got the RCA connectors and a S-video connector.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 09:29 PM   #7
solvs
macrumors 601

Pretty sure the Sawtooth was PCI, so it's a PCI card he's talking about. But the same rule applies. Voltage has to be compatible with the G5's PCI-X slots. Like I said, you could try e-mailing ATI if you'd like.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:13 PM   #8
BrianKonarsMac
macrumors 65816

buy a 9200 pci, or tv out adapter for your 9600. i recently bought a DVI to Video Adapter for a G5 (the retard tech at the apple store ***ured me it was not ONLY for G5's...guess what...he was wrong). I was too lazy to return it (would have cost me close to as much in gas just to return), so if you want it, it's yours if you want to pay for shipping plus throw in a little green.

Last edited by BrianKonarsMac; Sep 7, 2004 at 10:40 PM.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:47 PM   #9
trailblazer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytat
a separate TV monitor for my video sync in addition to the 2 displays I'm running now off my Radeon 9600.
note: IN ADDITION
ie he cannot give up a dvi port for a tvout adapter.
trailblazer is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:49 PM   #10
BrianKonarsMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer
note: IN ADDITION
ie he cannot give up a dvi port for a tvout adapter.
thus he would be better off using the Radeon 9200 PCI card which i initially recommended.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0
Old Sep 10, 2004, 02:32 PM   #11
harleytat
macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks everyone for all the ideas and advice...I'll be looking in to all the options you suggested. I guess my ideal would be a monster apple LCD plus a little TV, but this triple display idea looks tempting (and feasible) from what you guys said. I'll let you know if I decide on anything.

H
harleytat is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers