Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143215-ipad_touch.jpg

DigiTimes reports on an article from Taiwanese newspaper Liberty Times claiming that Apple's touchscreen manufacturing partner Wintek is the source of issues that have slightly delayed the release of the iPad to April 3rd from Apple's originally planned window of late March and have reportedly resulted in lower launch quantities of the device than desired by Apple.
The report claimed that Wintek is facing a manufacturing bottleneck in its touch panel production, and its low yield rate for touch panels has hampered its shipments to Apple.
Wintek claims, however, that all of its operations are running as planned, although it has declined to discuss specific orders in its statement.

Several reports earlier this month addressed the supply delays and shortages before Apple officially announced a launch date for the iPad, although the reports offered conflicting information on the source of the problems. Initial claims of a "production problem" were apparently disputed in a later report, which indicated that the issue was not the result of "glass or manufacturing process delays". A subsequent report from Daring Fireball's John Gruber indicated that the delay was likely simply due to Apple putting the finishing touches on the software for the iPad.

Article Link: Report Blames Screen Supplier Wintek for iPad Delays

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Hardly matters

Such a small delay only highlights what a machine Apple is. Look at how Palm seems to always be a day late and a dollar short and Apple's operational excellence seems all the more impressive.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
this is not surprising at all - display glass is very touchy to manufacture and getting it just right can take a long time. Once they get the system set up, it should be no problem and that is likely why the bottleneck is not there anymore.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Hope the FCC finishes their inspection of the 3G version soon. Would be nice to get my iPad before the end of April. Don't need an FCC Aprils Fool

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Just a silly stupid thought. Last time I checked, they make display glass out of glass. Am I wrong or have they been having a lot of earthquakes lately. I wonder if the delay could have been because someone over stacked the crates in the shipping warehouse at just the wrong time.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Such a small delay only highlights what a machine Apple is. Look at how Palm seems to always be a day late and a dollar short and Apple's operational excellence seems all the more impressive.

I don't get it. So did apple make the extra screens they needed themselves? Or did they temporarily took over Wintek and and fixed the problems themselves?

yonis

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
For what it's worth, The World had an interesting piece on Wintek, specifically about some health problems caused in employees by a chemical they were using to disinfect the touchscreens they manufacture for Apple.

http://media.theworld.org/audio/031920105.mp3

Might be related to the manufacturing delay.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
A 'whole big 4 days' for you, but for the rest of the world - theres still no accurate date nor any pricing schemes.

I'm sorry that Apple can't do better for you folks but considering the original wait time for the new iMacs for everyone, four days is a walk in the park for us in the U.S.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
A 'whole big 4 days' for you, but for the rest of the world - theres still no accurate date nor any pricing schemes.

bummer for you, yes, but since Apple is an American company after all international business is not of paramount importance...just as i would expect if I was purchasing from an international company...

so, i agree with the issue that it's not that big of a deal for the amount of days delay - could be much worse.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Apple and ATT

The 3g version is available later because they can add the radios once the fcc approved. So, it takes another 3-4 weeks to get that straight.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
why wouldnt Apple have gone to the FCC before launch to get pre-approval, unless they think that their trade secret was in jeopardy?

Jenkins12

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
IMO any manufacturing company working for Apple must be working at 110% efficiency just to keep up with their quantity demand.

Takuta-Nui

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Just a silly stupid thought. Last time I checked, they make display glass out of glass. Am I wrong or have they been having a lot of earthquakes lately. I wonder if the delay could have been because someone over stacked the crates in the shipping warehouse at just the wrong time.
Who knows, who knows... but I suppose most would be more concerned about the threat to people. Suspension clouds of shattered glass can form during/after earthquakes and are a pretty good killer of lungs.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Apple is an American company after all international business is not of paramount importance.

It's a sorry state of affairs if you actually believe that. Without the global market your 'American' company would not be where it is today. Now, before you go getting all magnanemous again take a second a think before gobbing off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.