Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:40 PM   #1
moogle301
macrumors member

Opening enclosing folder SC and file sorting

I use the 'open enclosing folder' function a lot. I can't seem to find a keyboard shortcut for it, on windows I think it was something and enter, and I think in itunes or some apps it is too.. I did some googling and it said cmd+up but that doesn't seem to work :S I'm trying it from the alt version of spotlight search... what is odd it that cmd+down does open the file like the similar keyboard shortcut is supposed to. I don't think I have anything else set to this..

Another thing, on windows when you sort files and folders you drag them to the left and use a somewhat fiddly folder system to stuff move to the right folder, I can't work out how to do that on mac. I have to temporarily make whichever folder I'm moving to a shortcut folder on the left (where all the folders would be on windows) and then remove it once its gone.. Am I doing a stupid way or is there another way? the only thing I can think of is columns which is confusing and esp hard to use to sort images which don't have descriptive filenames.

thankies
moogle301 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:45 PM   #2
moogle301
macrumors member

Also, are any keyboard shortcuts possible from the simple spotlight search? it doesn't seem like it =[
half the times when I do a search I actually want to open the folder it's in, which means doing a alt spotlight search which isn't as good at narrowing down stuff so always takes longer, then the keyboard shortcut for opening the enclosed folder is greyed out as a 'go' option and have to do it the mousey way! not the end of the world but not good =[
moogle301 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
PigeonCake
macrumors newbie

[cmd + R] will open the enclosing folder of a file selected in FinderÖ

Iíve just found out that if you highlight the search result in Spotlight, but donít click it, and then press [cmd + R] then that also opens the enclosing folder without first having to bring up the search finder window...
PigeonCake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X