Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1
potatis
macrumors 6502

have itunes add movies automatically

Is it possible to have itunes add movies automatically from a NAS drive?
I was imagining I could run iTunes, streaming to the aTV, on an old fanless G4 cube, but with no monitor hooked up. Instead I'd like to just use another computer to put content on a NAS, from which the cube could pick it up.
potatis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Inside your iTunes library (which I assume is on your NAS) you should have a folder called "Automatically Add to itunes". Any file that is placed into this folder should, as the name implies, be automatically added to your iTunes library.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:28 PM   #3
potatis
macrumors 6502

Yes I just discovered that, first hit on Google, typically..
I noticed it's directly moved into a another folder bearing the file's name, is this possible to change? I like to have my movie files sorted by country.
Can I use the same iTunes library for my main computer?
Does the NAS need to support "iTunes server", or is that something else?
thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:04 PM   #4
mcdermd
macrumors regular

If you untick the boxes that say "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" under preferences/Advanced, does it still copy them to a different folder name?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:22 AM   #5
potatis
macrumors 6502

It seems to make no difference, and I only had "organize" ticked in first place. Come to think of it, with a NAS I must use the web browser or FTP program? Would it be simpler (and possible) to have an Airport Extreme with a hard drive connected, and can both computers access the same iTunes library from it from Finder?

Last edited by potatis; Mar 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater