Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Yixian
macrumors 65816

iPad Educational Discount

Why is there no iPad Educational Discount in the US, and is there any chance there will be one in the UK?

For a product priced at what it is, and being so ideally suited to students, it seems incredibly harsh not to offer the educational discount Apple has provided on every other computer it sells for years..
Yixian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

There isn't an education discount on the iPhone either; it has to do with subscriptions to 3g services iirc. There won't be one in the UK either.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Yixian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
There isn't an education discount on the iPhone either; it has to do with subscriptions to 3g services iirc. There won't be one in the UK either.
And the Wifi-only iPads?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4
skubish
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yixian View Post
And the Wifi-only iPads?
because its just a big iPod and there is not EDU discount on iPods.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:35 AM   #5
steamtoy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Believe me, there will be in summer. The iPad is sold in store. No contract reqired
steamtoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Yixian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubish View Post
because its just a big iPod and there is not EDU discount on iPods.
For a $500 tablet computer, perfectly suited to students, the lack of an edu discount is pretty pathetic..

Major fail.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Page 2 story: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/19/...-institutions/

Major search fail.

(And just because it doesn't launch with an individual education discount doesn't mean that will always be the case.)
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:49 AM   #8
thejakill
macrumors 6502

One of apple's bg selling points for the ipad is the low cost. If they went lower for students, it would undermine that. (in their mind, not mine!)
thejakill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9
flyguy206
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
For a $500 tablet computer, perfectly suited to students, the lack of an edu discount is pretty pathetic..

Major fail.

it only being $499 is a discount for a tablet computer.Apple does not owe you a discout on every product they make..
flyguy206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:32 AM   #10
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Why is there no iPad Educational Discount in the US, and is there any chance there will be one in the UK?

My guess is that Apple is selling the iPad on razor-thin margins. There is no room for additional discounts in the retail chain.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:40 AM   #11
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:

For a product priced at what it is, and being so ideally suited to students, it seems incredibly harsh not to offer the educational discount Apple has provided on every other computer it sells for years..
Harsh? It's 500$, not 2500$. Apple would've offer the discount if it was 1000$. Apple is not obligated to offer discounts to student at all and that goes for everybody.

Campus stores will be getting the iPad at a discount bulk price, you might want to wait and ask the campus store if they'll do the discount for you.
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:47 AM   #12
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:

"Apple has begun offering 10-pack iPad bundles for educational institutions, with a modest discount for quantity purchases. Each package includes ten iPads paired with USB-to-Dock Connector cables and power adapters, while a single set of documentation is shipped with each order.
The 10-packs reduce the price of each iPad by $20 for hardware-only purchases, with a $40 savings when AppleCare coverage is added to each device. The company is currently only offering Wi-Fi-enabled iPads through the education stores, including 16GB, 32GB or 64GB models.

Individual iPads carry the standard retail pricing through Apple's educational program. "
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:49 AM   #13
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Quote:

Major fail.
While the iPad may work well for some students, I don't know that students are the specific target market. The MacBook and the MBP are still more targeted for that market. The iPad is more of a consumer device in my opinion.

In regards to an Ed Discount, what is the discount for MB and MBP? 5% on the lower items and 7% on the higher? $100 - $200 total on items over $1000 to $3000? Keeping the same percentages, you would likely only see a 3% to 5% reduction on a $500 iPad, $20-$25, hardly something to be outraged over. If you are expecting a $200 discount on a $500 iPad, you are dreaming.

Edit: Exactly my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsAWiz View Post
The 10-packs reduce the price of each iPad by $20 for hardware-only purchases
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Spudracer
macrumors 6502

I have a son heading off to college in the fall. I'm anxious to get my hands on the iPad to see if it can be a good tool for a student. Walking around all day with a 1.5 lb tablet sure beats a backpack full of books. I don't imagine it will replace a full computer but if this can be used for mobility and you have an iMac or Macbook Pro back in your dorm room, it may be great. Anyway, at $500 I think the iPad is about the most affordable piece of quality gear a student could buy....if it can do the job. We'll see.
Spudracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:53 AM   #15
GadgetX
macrumors regular

As two people have already pointed out in this thread, there is a 10 pack deal of ipads sold to educational institutions that saves a total of $210.. But people you guys are still debating it??

Edit: to be fair I guess the OP was talking about a discount for individual students, which there isn't
GadgetX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:08 PM   #16
aaquib
macrumors 65816

Even the Mac mini gets a $50 student discount so it's surprising you have to buy 10 iPad's just to get a $20 discount/iPad. Their margins must be thinner than we expected.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:32 PM   #17
wyneken
macrumors regular

Oh, good heavens.

We are talking here about a possible discount of maybe fifty dollars on a $499 product. Is this really worth the energy to generate faux outrage like this?

Quote:

Major fail.

Last edited by Nermal; Mar 21, 2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: removed political comment
wyneken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:02 PM   #18
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
As two people have already pointed out in this thread, there is a 10 pack deal of ipads sold to educational institutions that saves a total of $210.. But people you guys are still debating it??

Edit: to be fair I guess the OP was talking about a discount for individual students, which there isn't
But we enjoy beating a dead horse
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:41 PM   #19
goobot
macrumors 68040

cause instead of apple selling it for 1000$ they sold it for 500$ without the discount.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:03 PM   #20
nateharr
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Major fail.
Your greed amazes me. Apple does not owe you anything, especially a discount for a self-entitled whiny customer.

Get off your high horse and get a job. I am in the position where $50 is a lot of money, and I am not diminishing the fact that a discount could be helpful.

But people like you irritate the fire out of me. People who complain like you do create a gap between the customer and the business and businesses begin to treat us all like greedy bastards who are too stupid to understand the problem.

I apologize for the rant. I wrote this in anger, but I still think it needs to be said.

Last edited by nateharr; Mar 22, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
nateharr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:18 AM   #21
nwxtl88
macrumors member

Wink

There is one major point that everyone seems to be overlooking. The iPad has just gone on sale with a huge pent up demand. There is no reason for it to be discounted yet. I ordered mine through the epp store (employee discount program that many businesses have made with Apple) and there was no discount on the iPad, but there were discounts for the accessories.

Wait a few months and the iPad will probably be discounted too. Although we all know it will be so incredibly popular and successful, selling 2-3 million per month that Apple might not discount it for a year... .
nwxtl88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:07 AM   #22
matticus008
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwxtl88 View Post
There is one major point that everyone seems to be overlooking. The iPad has just gone on sale with a huge pent up demand. There is no reason for it to be discounted yet.
This comment has been made several times, but it's completely without precedent. As far as I can recall, nothing has ever launched without an educational discount and later received one.

In fact, iPods went the opposite way--a modest discount on several models was removed along with general price drops a few years back.

I think it's just time people accepted the fact that there is no personal discount on the iPad, just like there isn't on other iPhone OS products.
matticus008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:36 AM   #23
Seo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
My guess is that Apple is selling the iPad on razor-thin margins. There is no room for additional discounts in the retail chain.
If you only count the cost of the parts, not really:

But if you factor in the production, research, and advertising costs... maybe.
Seo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:21 AM   #24
eawmp1
macrumors 601

I qualify for an education discount and am NOT surprised there isn't one. So you have to go without pizza and Jägermeister for 2 weekends - get over it.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:07 PM   #25
Kingpin52
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyneken View Post
Oh, good heavens.

We are talking here about a possible discount of maybe fifty dollars on a $499 product. Is this really worth the energy to generate faux outrage like this?
Apple made $3.4 Billion dollars profit in 3 months! Talk about an outrage. Apple could at least cut a few students a break of $50. Joe Snobs and his crew can afford to give a little back, schools (therefore students) are who kept Apple alive for a decade.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/25/...ue-in-history/
Kingpin52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad