Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypersapien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I've been using mac.jedi's dvd ripping tutorial to digitize my dvd collection, and for the most part it is working perfectly. However some discs are problematic- One TV series I ripped puts all of the episodes into one long m4v file, with credits at the start and beginning of each episode. Another series imported just fine, but I would like to trim it down to exclude the "Previously on..." recap at the beginning of the show.

What software/method is best suited for this type of trimming of a m4v file? I have quicktime pro, but as far as I can tell if I want to export the video out as a m4v again it will be a pretty lengthy process. Is there a better way?

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
TV series disks usually have each episode as a seperate title on the disk. So when you encode the disk in Handbrake (I assume thats what your using) just open the disk and select the correct title for episode 1 give it a file name and add it to the queue, then select the title for episode 2 and give it a name and add it to the queue and so on and so on. That way each episode is encoded to a seperate file.

Also some, but not that many, have just one title and split the episodes up using the chapter numbers eg. Episode 1 is chapters 1-5, Episode 2 is chapter 6-10 and so on. These can be encoded the same way by just selecting the the same title each time and setting the correct chapter numbers.

As for splitting and trimming I think most software ends up having to re-encode the output file in some way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.