Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
hypersapien
macrumors newbie

Best way to trim/split m4v files

I've been using mac.jedi's dvd ripping tutorial to digitize my dvd collection, and for the most part it is working perfectly. However some discs are problematic- One TV series I ripped puts all of the episodes into one long m4v file, with credits at the start and beginning of each episode. Another series imported just fine, but I would like to trim it down to exclude the "Previously on..." recap at the beginning of the show.

What software/method is best suited for this type of trimming of a m4v file? I have quicktime pro, but as far as I can tell if I want to export the video out as a m4v again it will be a pretty lengthy process. Is there a better way?
hypersapien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
roidy
macrumors 6502a

TV series disks usually have each episode as a seperate title on the disk. So when you encode the disk in Handbrake (I assume thats what your using) just open the disk and select the correct title for episode 1 give it a file name and add it to the queue, then select the title for episode 2 and give it a name and add it to the queue and so on and so on. That way each episode is encoded to a seperate file.

Also some, but not that many, have just one title and split the episodes up using the chapter numbers eg. Episode 1 is chapters 1-5, Episode 2 is chapter 6-10 and so on. These can be encoded the same way by just selecting the the same title each time and setting the correct chapter numbers.

As for splitting and trimming I think most software ends up having to re-encode the output file in some way.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:42 AM   #3
hypersapien
macrumors newbie

thanks, I'll check that out.
hypersapien is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater