Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm looking to get some nice, quality business cards printed. I've looked at Mpix, WHCC, and OvernightPrints but they all seemed to have mixed reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

johnathan.macle

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
I have used Moo.com in the past, they now do propper buisness cards which look and feel great.

50 card pack from £10.99 I believe.

You can use your own design or premade designs.

I have used vistaprint and was very dissapointed in the quality.

Hope I helped :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I have been sorely disappointed with VistaPrint. My former boss insisted on suing them and the cards were shameful to give out.

I've used OverNightPrints lots of times, and know several other designers who have also, and never a lick of trouble.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I had some color issues with a job from 4over once - a bit outside the normal range than expected.

48hourprint and psprint are a couple I've used before...but some folks have had color issues with them too. You get what you pay for with the super-cheap gangrun printers.

My advice would be to call local printers and see if any of them run a gangrun.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Thanks for all the suggestions. Although they were a little pricey, I don't intend on giving a lot of cards out so I went with Moo.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If you are looking for real quality, you should go to a local printer. Is there a reason you aren't going the traditional route? These online printers aren't usually comparable in service or quality.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
If you are looking for real quality, you should go to a local printer. Is there a reason you aren't going the traditional route? These online printers aren't usually comparable in service or quality.

I would agree with that: Local printers are usually much more knowledgeable.

I just prefer the fact that I can create the design myself, upload it, and it gets printed. It's easier, I think. You create the design and - *click* - done.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Although I will look local when I buy cards again, I appreciate the ease of use. Plus, Moo has gotten awesome reviews for quality online, from what I've seen. I like that you can have them print a bunch of different card designs (for no additional charge) so I was able to mix the colors up for every 10 or so cards. I'll make a post about the quality whenever I get them.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
I know this might be slightly different for some...
but I love

www.moo.com

The mini cards stand out of the crowd, and still fit in a wallet nicely.
The quality is great...it almost looks like they've been laminated in a satin laminate. (I tore one in half, and it looks like 3 layers)
...nice thickness and feel to the touch.

I'll be ordering a second set soon. :)

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
I have always had good luck with overnightprints.com

fair price, good quality, fast turn around.

I would check them out, but personally like most people have said before my, I like to develop a relationship with a local printer.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i've used some of the printers posted above in the past, but from personal experience they use a cheap printer for mass production in order to keep the prices down (ex: $15 for 500+ business cards). the quality is poor, and colors aren't good either.

aperture: consider emailing some of these printing places and ask them for a few samples to see how their quality is like. it might give you an idea of what type of printing and paper they use.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Anyone have experience with moo.com and VistaPrint, that could offer a comparison (I've been disappointed with VistaPrint's quality too: the business cards were trimmed slightly smaller than business card size, and their quality was sub-standard--couldn't see detail that was clear in the hi-res original)

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
vistaprint provides cheap quality prints. i'm not sure how moo is since i never tried them.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
48hourprint and psprint are a couple I've used before...but some folks have had color issues with them too. You get what you pay for with the super-cheap gangrun printers.

My advice would be to call local printers and see if any of them run a gangrun.

I also had problems with an online printer -- the cards weren't cut at right angles. Ugh.

The trouble with local printers is locating them. Anyone have any good resources for finding a good local printer?

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
fwiw - i've had great luck with two firms -

greenerprinter.com - great quality and a choice of recycled and earth-friendly paper/cardstock. they cost a little more - but thus far they've done the best job of anyone in terms of quality - and that's using hard-to-match colors. last year i was shopping a brochure job with greenerprinter and the estimator i was speaking with was kind enough to help me find the sweet spot in terms of cost vs size. they're in berkeley, ca (natch).

printplace.com - i've used printplace for both brochures and business cards. one sweet advantage for them is same-day turnaround. if you have someone at a trade show in dallas, this service can't be beat. their quality has been quite good, and the few times i've needed to interact with their customer service - they've been great. printplace is in dallas, tx.

i'm only related to both firms as a repeat customer.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
I know this might be slightly different for some...
but I love

www.moo.com

The mini cards stand out of the crowd, and still fit in a wallet nicely.
The quality is great...it almost looks like they've been laminated in a satin laminate. (I tore one in half, and it looks like 3 layers)
...nice thickness and feel to the touch.

I'll be ordering a second set soon. :)

+1 :)

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Best Online Print Service for Business Cards?

So I need some business cards printed, and I want to go with an online printer. I know going to local businesses is better, but it's not in the budget, unfortunately. Who's the best in terms of price to quality ratio? Also, who has the most choices for different types of stock?

I'm only looking to get 300 or so printed, because I know after I've handed out that many, I'll be sick of the design and want to redo it anyway. Thanks!

substeel

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
Florida
Moo.com

Try Moo.com
They have great looking cards and a fun and easy interface to create and submit online.

The Mini cards are my favs and they are great for projects outside of business cards.

Taximan

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
clubflyers.com

I have used them for many projects turnaround is real. 1000 cards $20 4c They are the guys your local printer will use. http://clubflyers.com They offer a basic product if you want something fancier try vistaprint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.