Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayV2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Is there a good way for handling multiple versions of the same Movie/Show?
I rip all my DVD's with Handbrake for the ATV which makes them around 3-5gb which look great on my Larger TV's, but I also rip a smaller version for my iPhones and now looking at having a 3rd version for the iPad.
My system has just to been to put a * in-front of the iPhone version, but would love to know if someone else has come up with a better solution. it gets tedious to scroll through a ton of movies to pick out which are which.
Would love a solution that lets me just stack the 2-3 formats on top of each other so on the ATV I only see that Version and when syncing my iPhones or iPad it only picks up that version. I know Apple is doing something similar to this with the Apps so that they will be aware as to what device is trying to sync.
Thanks in advance
Jay

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Some people choose to use an external program to mark as SD or HD but that only offers two. (I guess you could have not labeled, SD and HD.)

I don't know how to do this, however. Google around. It was some freeware via Google download (not made by Google, just a dev uploaded it there, I forget).

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Some people choose to use an external program to mark as SD or HD but that only offers two. (I guess you could have not labeled, SD and HD.)

I don't know how to do this, however. Google around. It was some freeware via Google download (not made by Google, just a dev uploaded it there, I forget).

I believe the program you're talked about is Subler.. that's the one that I use for tagging my vids. I've never done what the OP is asking but I believe that if you set the cnID as the same for both vids it'll work. Google "Subler cnID" or something to look for more.

http://code.google.com/p/subler/

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I believe the program you're talked about is Subler.. that's the one that I use for tagging my vids. I've never done what the OP is asking but I believe that if you set the cnID as the same for both vids it'll work. Google "Subler cnID" or something to look for more.

Exactly right. Add cnID tag (use same number for both, choosing whatever you like) to both versions, being sure to click the HD Video box under Other Settings for the higher resolution version (HD or not). After importing into iTunes, you should see an HD-SD identifier next to the film if you are viewing is List mode. You are only able to do this with 2 versions though.

Is there a good way for handling multiple versions of the same Movie/Show?
I rip all my DVD's with Handbrake for the ATV which makes them around 3-5gb which look great on my Larger TV's, but I also rip a smaller version for my iPhones and now looking at having a 3rd version for the iPad.
My system has just to been to put a * in-front of the iPhone version, but would love to know if someone else has come up with a better solution. it gets tedious to scroll through a ton of movies to pick out which are which.
Would love a solution that lets me just stack the 2-3 formats on top of each other so on the ATV I only see that Version and when syncing my iPhones or iPad it only picks up that version. I know Apple is doing something similar to this with the Apps so that they will be aware as to what device is trying to sync.
Thanks in advance
Jay

Just my $0.02 but don't think you'll need 3 versions. The highest resolution you can encode DVDs will play on the iPad (for that matter will also play on your iPhone if you're using :apple:TV preset) so your :apple:TV version should be fine. Also, what settings are you using to encode your DVDs for :apple:TV? My blu-rays encoded to 720p are 3-5 GB while most of my DVDs are only 1-2 GB and that's with the :apple:TV preset and the constant quality bumped up (RF: 19.25).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-21 at 9.07.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-21 at 9.07.39 PM.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 146

JayV2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
what settings are you using to encode your DVDs for :apple:TV? .

I use the ATV default settings on HB, but Bump the average Bitrate to 4000. This gives me the larger file size, but makes the movie look perfect on my 73" DLP and 52" LED. File size means nothing since they live on my server. That is the largest I have found I can make them and still play on the ATV without issues.

The Subler program was exactly what I was looking for thanks JonHimself

I am running some encodes right now to test it out, but that should help out. I may just bump the iPhone version up a little for Dual use on the iPad. Will have plenty of test files to load and play with come delivery on Saturday.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I am running some encodes right now to test it out, but that should help out. I may just bump the iPhone version up a little for Dual use on the iPad. Will have plenty of test files to load and play with come delivery on Saturday.

I have the same question as you regarding a third version for the iPad, but I'm going to wait until I get it in hand before I worry about it.

As tbayrgs said above, the iPad can play the ATV version, it's just a question of file size at that point. I have an iPhone version of movies for when I travel and, going forward, it is likely that I will take my iPad along for this purpose.

At 64 gigs, I can easily get all my music on my iPad and still have room for 8 - 12 high-res movies (assuming a file size of 3 - 5 GBs). That should be fine for most trips. If not, I may simply re-encode the lower-res version for an optimum iPad size & resolution, and nixing the iPhone version.

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
Not really a perfect solution but could you just have Smart Playlists and either add a keyword in a field to search for or else just filter by bit rate?

Would leave the main library a mess of duplicates and give issues in front row (although AIUI lots of people suggest smart playlists as a good way to manage large libraries for frontrow anyway), but I think gets there in terms of giving you a list of full res / iPhone / iPad movies.

Personally though it looks like a 3GS iPhone will already handle files which are about as good as it gets for ATV so I'm likely to just go with one and live with a reduced number on the iPhone at any one time. Given the iPad will do the same I can't see the need for more than two really (main quality and a stripped down version, probably at iPad type res to cover the bases), just seems more trouble than its worth to optimise for each device when they're all capable of playing the same files.

JayV2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I tried the subler program and it does what it says, but I also tried out iFlicks

And that seems to be a much slicker program. I am not sure I would trust it to do the encoding, but it adds in all the meta data and a Thumbnail. I set one version as HD and the other as SD, and since it puts the cnid number in there automatically the files lay on top of each other when imported to iTunes.
$27 but this will be a big timesaver for cleaning up my collection.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I tried the subler program and it does what it says, but I also tried out iFlicks

And that seems to be a much slicker program. I am not sure I would trust it to do the encoding, but it adds in all the meta data and a Thumbnail. I set one version as HD and the other as SD, and since it puts the cnid number in there automatically the files lay on top of each other when imported to iTunes.
$27 but this will be a big timesaver for cleaning up my collection.

I tag with MetaX (its inability these days to pre-fill tags is not a bother as I like to control my tags rather than accept random sets from other people), and then do the HD-SD thing in Subler. It would be helpful if MetaX could include the HD-SD tag option, and then I wouldn't need Subler at all.

JayV2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I tag with MetaX (its inability these days to pre-fill tags is not a bother as I like to control my tags rather than accept random sets from other people).

The iFlicks is pretty good at the MetaData it has a 15 day free trial that I am using right now.

Here is what it grabbed for the one movie I had lying around right now, but you could adjust it if you have your own style of Tagging. The CNID seem to be added in the background, but are not adjustable from iFlicks.

4455400334_7d07b56d08_o.png

obey908

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco
How do you get HD tags to show in iTunes? They show on apple tv. Also on apple tv the HD tag will show but for some of the same movies on iPad they won't.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How do you get HD tags to show in iTunes? They show on apple tv. Also on apple tv the HD tag will show but for some of the same movies on iPad they won't.

Exactly right. Add cnID tag (use same number for both, choosing whatever you like) to both versions, being sure to click the HD Video box under Other Settings for the higher resolution version (HD or not). After importing into iTunes, you should see an HD-SD identifier next to the film if you are viewing is List mode. You are only able to do this with 2 versions though.

See my previous response above for using Subler to get HD tags in iTunes.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
You could create an iTunes smart playlist for iTunes Media Kind "Movie" or "TV Show" which would key off of the iTunes comments ("Info:Comments") or groupings ("Info:Grouping") like:

Apple TV
iPod
iPhone
iPad

Unfortunately, the raw iTunes bit rate will not work because that uses the rate for the audio track, not the video. However, you could combine the Time and Size attributes in a range to select effective bit rates for the encodings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.