Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 21, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
camuk
macrumors newbie

Help on mac to Tv

Dear All.

This weekend I bought my first I Mac, well the problem is the whole family fell in love with the I Mac and before I knew it I had gone down to the local shop and traded in my apple tv to run a mac mini on my 42 inch tv.

Here in lies the problem (please bear in mind I am a mac newbie,) I m trying to connect the mac mini to the tv however it doesn't want to play.

At the minute when I connect the mini to a Pc monitor it displays the mac mini information. I then googled some info and downloaded chicken of the VNC on the I Mac to control the mac mini.

On the mac mini I downloaded display config X. Then disaster struck power cut. Ok thought I would restart however now the program is unable to open. I have re download, moved to the recycle bin, banged my head against the wall and I am no closer.

In my eagerness to connect I went with whatever I could get my hands on in the store.

So my set up is; mini div to dvi adapter, dvi cable to dvi adapter to pc connector, back of the tv.

I have the phono jack so I can sort the sound out but I can get any pictures up. Any thought or help with this issue as I am looking forward to the mini on the tv.

And yes it is overkill I think I am now officially an apple convert!
camuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Ca$hflow
macrumors 6502

Check out this sticky

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=792106

I know it says macbook but it will work on the mini as well.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by camuk View Post
Dear All.

This weekend I bought my first I Mac, well the problem is the whole family fell in love with the I Mac and before I knew it I had gone down to the local shop and traded in my apple tv to run a mac mini on my 42 inch tv.

Here in lies the problem (please bear in mind I am a mac newbie,) I m trying to connect the mac mini to the tv however it doesn't want to play.

At the minute when I connect the mini to a Pc monitor it displays the mac mini information. I then googled some info and downloaded chicken of the VNC on the I Mac to control the mac mini.

On the mac mini I downloaded display config X. Then disaster struck power cut. Ok thought I would restart however now the program is unable to open. I have re download, moved to the recycle bin, banged my head against the wall and I am no closer.

In my eagerness to connect I went with whatever I could get my hands on in the store.

So my set up is; mini div to dvi adapter, dvi cable to dvi adapter to pc connector, back of the tv.

I have the phono jack so I can sort the sound out but I can get any pictures up. Any thought or help with this issue as I am looking forward to the mini on the tv.

And yes it is overkill I think I am now officially an apple convert!

First, no need for some third party VNC to control your mini as OS X has this functionality built right it. You need to enable it on your Mini under System Preferences > Internet and Wirless > Sharing. Once sharing is enabled, you should see your mini listed under Shared in your Finder. Once you highlight the mini, in the upper right corner you will see a button labeled Share Screen. I have my mini hooked up to a 50" Plasma in our living room and utilize screen sharing all the time from my macbook.

Also, why not try to connect to your TV via HDMI. Sounds like you are trying to go from DVI to VGA on your TV--not sure if that's your problem but I use mini DVI to DVI to HDMI with a separate Toslink adapter to run audio and it works great. There are also adapters such as this available that will integrate audio into a HDMI connection.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
mstrze
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mstrze
I'm just shocked that you already sold off your AppleTV JUST because you got another Mac and somehow thought that would be a simple and easy way to watch your stuff on your TV. As you are finding out, it's not as easy as it seems and your AppleTV was actually a pretty decent solution for you.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater