Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGOOGLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I want to install windows XP via Boot Camp but it does not let me to do.

This window appears when I make partition !!

wqpohh.png

I need an explanation to fix this problem (step by step) please!...

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You need to do exactly what the box tells you to: Backup your entire hard drive, erase the drive and restore from backup.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
The issue is that you don't have enough continuous free space available for the 32 GB partition you want to create. You either need to defrag the drive (iDefrag) or erase the drive and reinstall which will defrag the free space. You could also just reduce the partition size to maybe 20 GB and see if it lets you create it then...if not...then one of the first two options is what you must do.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The issue is that you don't have enough continuous free space available for the 32 GB partition you want to create. You either need to defrag the drive (iDefrag) or erase the drive and reinstall which will defrag the free space. You could also just reduce the partition size to maybe 20 GB and see if it lets you create it then...if not...then one of the first two options is what you must do.

From other's experiences, 95% of the time, iDefrag does not work in this situation. They still have to backup and erase.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
From other's experiences, 95% of the time, iDefrag does not work in this situation. They still have to backup and erase.

It will work if you run the Full Defrag that also defrags the free space. You have to have the paid version to do it though. And you must be able to unmount the drive to do it. So you either have to use a boot disk or boot to another drive to do the Full Defrag option.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It will work if you run the Full Defrag that also defrags the free space. You have to have the paid version to do it though. And you must be able to unmount the drive to do it. So you either have to use a boot disk or boot to another drive to do the Full Defrag option.

In which case it makes it just as easy or easier to erase and restore. I don't have a spare bootable drive just sitting around.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
In which case it makes it just as easy or easier to erase and restore. I don't have a spare bootable drive just sitting around.

Agreed. Was just giving another option since he/she may not have a backup and not want to erase and restore.

iGOOGLE

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
You need to do exactly what the box tells you to: Backup your entire hard drive, erase the drive and restore from backup.

I have Carbon Coby Clone for backup.
Do I have to have an external hard drive?

could you explain how to erase and restore please ?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
could you explain how to erase and restore please ?
Easiest if your CCC backup is to a bootable drive partition not an image. If so.

Boot the system to your CCC backup.
Run Disk Utility, create the partitions you want in the end (HFS+/FAT32)
Restore from the CCC backup to the new HFS+ partition.

If you've only got an image things get a bit trickier as you should really boot from somewhere else.

Since you are planning on partitioning the drive anyway, you could:

Boot from the OS X install CD.
Run Disk Utility, create the partition split you want in the end (HFS+/HFS+)
Install OS X into the space intended for Windows.
Boot temporary OS X
Restore OS X from the CCC backup to the space intended for OS X.
Boot into restored OS X
Run Disk Utility, erase Windows partiton and reformat as FAT32.
Insert Windows install media and hold down Alt/Option during boot to select the install media.

For fun I installed OS X to an SD card when I recently did that and I don't recommend it. The install was painfully slow as was the booting from it.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.