Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IChing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
In addition to their own respective e-ink hardware devices, booksellers Amazon and Barnes & Noble will also release their own separate digital bookstores for Apple's iPad and other touchscreen tablet devices.

Both companies revealed to The New York Times that they will create new digital readers and storefronts in addition to their existing applications for the iPhone and iPod touch. The App Store software will also compete with Apple's own iBooks application and accompanying iBookstore, which will also be available for download on the App Store rather than coming preinstalled on the device.

In particular, the Kindle application from Amazon was demonstrated to a Times reporter. It features the ability to slowly turn pages with fingers, much like Apple's own iBooks software.

"It also presents two new ways for people to view their entire e-book collection, including one view where large images of book covers are set against a backdrop of a silhouetted figure reading under a tree," the report said. "The sun's position in that image varies with the time of day."

Amazon also created a section on its Web site to promote Kindle apps for tablet computers, and the promotional material specifically cites the iPad version of the software.

"Tablet computers, including the iPad, are coming and with our free app you'll be able to read more than 450,000 Kindle books," the page reads. "Like all Kindle apps, Kindle for tablet computers will include Whispersync technology, which automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights across your Kindle and Kindle compatible devices, including PC, Mac, iPhone and BlackBerry."

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...all_new_kindle_e_book_app_for_apple_ipad.html

I can't wait to get one but will have to wait until a friend visiting
from North America can bring one over with him... The Ipad will be a hit with me because I have just started reading books on my iPod Touch and only wished for a bigger screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.