Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:53 AM   #1
pb1300
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aigio, Greece
Getting ready to transfer everything, need some advice please...

So my i7 iMac FINALLY came in. I had a 20" C2D iMac from 06, which was giving me nothing but problems, so I wanted to wait till the i7 comes in before I rip my 300+ DVDs. Anyways....what I want to do is rip all of them to my iMac, then transfer them to my external 2TB drive. I have an TV also, which is connected to my 42" 1080p LCD. I want to wirelessly play all my movies from the iMac. So what would be the best option? Should I just do everything with MacTheRipper, and use the Universal option, or is there another option? Also, is there a program that will add the cover art for all the DVDs, or do I have to do that manually? Thanks for the help guys.
pb1300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:45 AM   #2
mstrze
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Send a message via AIM to mstrze
All you need to know to make this simple and painless is right here in this forum..stickied at the top of this forum actually.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

This has made transferring my collection of DVDs a breeze! I have a very similar setup with an external where we have our iTunes library and an AppleTV.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:52 AM   #3
pb1300
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aigio, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrze View Post
All you need to know to make this simple and painless is right here in this forum..stickied at the top of this forum actually.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

This has made transferring my collection of DVDs a breeze! I have a very similar setup with an external where we have our iTunes library and an AppleTV.
Didnt notice it to be honest. Thanks for the help though!
pb1300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
mkcoo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Unsure how to get all film info to show up like a movie from the iTunes store

Just finished ripping my 300+ movies with Handbrake (pure genius) and am unsure how to get all film info - Director, Actors etc to show up like a movie from the iTunes store.
Sorry if its a no brainer but be grateful of any ideas
mkcoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:42 PM   #5
mstrze
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcoo View Post
Just finished ripping my 300+ movies with Handbrake (pure genius) and am unsure how to get all film info - Director, Actors etc to show up like a movie from the iTunes store.
Sorry if its a no brainer but be grateful of any ideas
You can't get it from iTunes. You have to either manually enter it, or use the scripts talked about in the above process here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

Although, that script is run before the encode process I believe...don't know if it works retroactively.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:37 PM   #6
The Mad Kiwi
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In Hell
You can use MetaX.

If you used the Apple TV setting in Handbrake, with large file ticked, just make sure you change tick the "Enable support for large files" in MetaX prefs, if you don't it'll stuff up the file and you'll have to rip it again.
The Mad Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:12 AM   #7
MrMister111
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcoo View Post
Just finished ripping my 300+ movies with Handbrake (pure genius) and am unsure how to get all film info - Director, Actors etc to show up like a movie from the iTunes store.
Sorry if its a no brainer but be grateful of any ideas
Wow can I ask how long it took, what preset you used and on what decide did you do the converting? and what procedure did you do? eg set I off overnight etc?

I would love to do this but got bored after a few, I also have a Apple TV so would love to have them all converted with tags etc.

The ones I did do I used MetaX for Mac which gets the info etc, although still need to manually do some manipulation of th tags.

Can I also ask where you store them all, and what the total size is? I recently bought a 1Tb NAS buffalo linkstation for iTunes library etc

cheers
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:00 AM   #8
mstrze
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Wow can I ask how long it took, what preset you used and on what decide did you do the converting? and what procedure did you do? eg set I off overnight etc?
With the above procedures and scripting, you can generally rip and encode 7-10 DVDs a day...possibly more if your computer is a speed demon when it comes to encoding...I only average around 20fps, but I know other folks are a lot faster than that.

The scripting to pull the tags and imagery included in the above linked process has only failed me on a few movies that weren't in the database. It's really nice to have ALL the info pulled and in place and the process really automated.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020
 
Darth.Titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
You can use MetaX.

If you used the Apple TV setting in Handbrake, with large file ticked, just make sure you change tick the "Enable support for large files" in MetaX prefs, if you don't it'll stuff up the file and you'll have to rip it again.
MetaX hasn't worked properly in Snow Leopard in quite a while. It's a shame because I loved that program.

I've been using Vidalin. It's a bit slow, but it works well for most movies.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:55 AM   #10
mkcoo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Wow can I ask how long it took, what preset you used and on what decide did you do the converting? and what procedure did you do? eg set I off overnight etc?

I would love to do this but got bored after a few, I also have a Apple TV so would love to have them all converted with tags etc.

The ones I did do I used MetaX for Mac which gets the info etc, although still need to manually do some manipulation of th tags.

Can I also ask where you store them all, and what the total size is? I recently bought a 1Tb NAS buffalo linkstation for iTunes library etc

cheers
Yeah it was a bit of a mission. What you need is some dedication to the job.

It's taken 5 months. The maximum I was doing a day was 3, one in the morning, one in the evening and one overnight. I went for the best settings I could on Handbrake -Apple TV-.

File sizes vary quite a bit on different movies but had a look and they are averaging at about 2.3GB but def allow 2.5GB or more a movie if you are looking to guesstimate how much HD you are gonna need.

At the moment I've got them all on my MacMini Server but just thinking about my next move into more storage.

A question about adding the metadata.. When using one of the programs (Subler, MetaX, Vidalin) do they attach data into the video file or just fetch the info for itunes?
mkcoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:13 AM   #11
mstrze
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Most I did in a day was 7 I think. With the process above you just load DVD after DVD and it rips them to your harddrive. After running the renaming scripts which assign the proper metatag imagery and infomation, you then run the encode process overnight or whenever you have a few hours of downtime (It can run in the background, but why fight with other apps for processor power?) In fact (I haven't tried this) you can schedule these processes to run at whatever time (or date) you want.

Mine reside on a 1.5TB external attached to my Mini which streams to my AppleTV. GREAT setup...and wonderful to have all of my movies (well in the process of having ALL) available at the press of a button.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:07 PM   #12
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcoo View Post
A question about adding the metadata.. When using one of the programs (Subler, MetaX, Vidalin) do they attach data into the video file or just fetch the info for itunes?
Subler I can tell you actually embeds the metadata into the container. Hence the metadata is portable with the video file.
dynaflash is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:48 PM   #13
MrMister111
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Are you all not "worried" about the CPU usage when coverting all these all the time? I'd be a bit worried running coversion on 300 DVDs on my iMac.

The preset I chose was Universal in Handbrake, not sure on file size differences though (anyone?), as I can then play it on my iPhone, iPod, PS3 etc.

I recently upgraded to Snow and haven't tried MetaX didn't realise it didn't work but something else must work.
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:53 PM   #14
dynaflash
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Are you all not "worried" about the CPU usage when coverting all these all the time? I'd be a bit worried running coversion on 300 DVDs on my iMac.
Well, its not like the cpu will wear out. As long as it remains within its thermal limits you should be fine. HB will push the cooling system within about 3 minutes, after that as long as your cool enough, your iMac will just keep going as long as the cord is plugged in.
dynaflash is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:13 PM   #15
Robbadore64
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
I recently upgraded to Snow and haven't tried MetaX didn't realise it didn't work but something else must work.
I've been using Snow L since it came out and haven't had any problems with MetaX. I rip about 3 or 4 movies a week and haven't had issue.

One thing I noticed is that somewhere along the line MetaX stopped retrieving movie info from it's site for me to select from so I usually just enter the info myself manually from IMDB and the poster art from various places. Occasionally I'm surprised like with New Moon a few days ago; it gave me a full list of info to grab. Sorry, off topic....
Robbadore64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:10 PM   #16
MrMister111
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Well, its not like the cpu will wear out. As long as it remains within its thermal limits you should be fine. HB will push the cooling system within about 3 minutes, after that as long as your cool enough, your iMac will just keep going as long as the cord is plugged in.
Yeh just dont want to wear out my iMac! its a 2007 Core 2 Duo 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM, so not exactly cutting edge.

I also have a Win XP PC, which I could use to, but just looking at all the DVDs, and avi files I have terrifies me how long they would take to convert. eg TV series, I have the full 24 DVD disk box set of Miami Vice, this would take weeks to convert really, Im talking actual convert time, not setting up etc
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:23 PM   #17
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Yeh just dont want to wear out my iMac! its a 2007 Core 2 Duo 2Ghz with 2Gb RAM, so not exactly cutting edge.

I also have a Win XP PC, which I could use to, but just looking at all the DVDs, and avi files I have terrifies me how long they would take to convert. eg TV series, I have the full 24 DVD disk box set of Miami Vice, this would take weeks to convert really, Im talking actual convert time, not setting up etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcoo View Post
Yeah it was a bit of a mission. What you need is some dedication to the job.

It's taken 5 months. The maximum I was doing a day was 3, one in the morning, one in the evening and one overnight. I went for the best settings I could on Handbrake -Apple TV-.

File sizes vary quite a bit on different movies but had a look and they are averaging at about 2.3GB but def allow 2.5GB or more a movie if you are looking to guesstimate how much HD you are gonna need.

At the moment I've got them all on my MacMini Server but just thinking about my next move into more storage.

A question about adding the metadata.. When using one of the programs (Subler, MetaX, Vidalin) do they attach data into the video file or just fetch the info for itunes?
mkcoo pretty much nailed it..just need some dedication and patience but IMO, it's definitely worth it. I haven/t tried the automated process but even without it, you can plow through your library at a pretty proficient rate. My library of about 225 movies and 150 TV episodes (mostly 1 hr each) took a few months. I would rip a bunch of DVDs using RipIt--usually takes about 45 min to an hour on my mac mini--and then just preload Handbrake with 4-5 movies (10-12 TV episodes) and have it run overnight. Doing it this way you'd have your Miami vice box set converted in about a week.

For tagging, MetaX for Mac still works in SL and as in HB, you can load up a bunch of tagging jobs and let it go (only takes a few minutes for a dozen or so). Only problem with MetaX for Mac is as Robbadore64 stated, the developer stopped supporting it early last year so generally the look up function won't find any data for media that came out after that point--you just have to manually add the data. It you really wish to use a lookup function to retrieve meta data, you can use Subler or Vidalin--just have to do one job at a time.

And I wouldn't worry about overworking your iMac. My Mac Mini is a 2.0 C2D with 4 GB RAM and while it doesn't blaze, it's performed flawlessly handling my conversions, even my more intensive recent blu-ray conversions.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:33 AM   #18
MrMister111
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
yeh just looks like a long job, so has anyone used Universal preset in HandBrake? is there much quality difference between Uni and Apple TV preset? its just the Universal will play on iPhone, iPod and PS3 (I think) so saves me doing loads of different conversion?

On my Apple TV I have got ATVFlash on, this allows me to be able to browse my movies on my NAS drive without having to have my iMac on so it can connect to my iTunes library. I would much prefer a pure Apple route though as the movies look great with al the meta data, and also they seem to play much better, no stuttering etc

So my ideal is convert all using HB universal, and have my iTunes library on my NAS (my iMac HDD is only 320Gb and wont hold my music and movies), but can Apple TV connect to the NAS to the iTunes library on there without my iMac being on?

cheers
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:43 AM   #19
wysinawyg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
yeh just looks like a long job, so has anyone used Universal preset in HandBrake? is there much quality difference between Uni and Apple TV preset? its just the Universal will play on iPhone, iPod and PS3 (I think) so saves me doing loads of different conversion?
AIUI the main difference between Uni and ATV is size of the files rather than quality (with ATV giving smaller files). Of course that means you coudl bump up the quality for ATV and have the same file size but better quality, but "out of the box" I don't think there is much in it.

Also the ATV profile plays fine on iPhone 3GS and later model iPod Touches, and also quite possibly plays on PS3. Worth a check anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
So my ideal is convert all using HB universal, and have my iTunes library on my NAS (my iMac HDD is only 320Gb and wont hold my music and movies), but can Apple TV connect to the NAS to the iTunes library on there without my iMac being on?
Un-hacked, no. You need ATVFlash (or similar) if you want non-local storage without a PC/Mac on.
wysinawyg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:08 AM   #20
MrMister111
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysinawyg View Post
AIUI the main difference between Uni and ATV is size of the files rather than quality (with ATV giving smaller files). Of course that means you coudl bump up the quality for ATV and have the same file size but better quality, but "out of the box" I don't think there is much in it.

Also the ATV profile plays fine on iPhone 3GS and later model iPod Touches, and also quite possibly plays on PS3. Worth a check anyway.
anyone tried this please confirm? whats the difference in file sizes then between Uni and ATV preset? much? I owuld prefer a one time encode for play on 3GS, iPod, PS3, Apple TV though

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysinawyg View Post
Un-hacked, no. You need ATVFlash (or similar) if you want non-local storage without a PC/Mac on.
Ah so it looks like I can't do this anyway, so it it worth me converting the avi's I have currently using HB, or leave them as is? and then just convert my DVDs? ATVFlash is good, but prefer to be stock, its just I use the ATVFlash to access my NAS easily etc

cheers
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:48 PM   #21
pb1300
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aigio, Greece
I have another question...

I am going the simple route, ripping the DVD then converting it with HB, but I have a problem. I converted Return of the Jedi, and there are no subs, but not the subs you might be thinking. For example, when Jabba the Hut is speaking to Luke, there is no translation to what he is saying. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
pb1300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:29 PM   #22
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I have another question...

I am going the simple route, ripping the DVD then converting it with HB, but I have a problem. I converted Return of the Jedi, and there are no subs, but not the subs you might be thinking. For example, when Jabba the Hut is speaking to Luke, there is no translation to what he is saying. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Without making any changes in HB, subtitles will not be included in the encode. Under the subtitles tab, you need to either manually select the subtitle track or select Foreign Audio search and put a check in the Forced Only box---HB will scan for subtitles for non-English audio parts and then include them.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:28 AM   #23
pb1300
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aigio, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
Without making any changes in HB, subtitles will not be included in the encode. Under the subtitles tab, you need to either manually select the subtitle track or select Foreign Audio search and put a check in the Forced Only box---HB will scan for subtitles for non-English audio parts and then include them.
Well its a normal version from the States, and like I said, there are no subs in it, aside from the ones I mentioned earlier. So in order for me to see the subs from Jabba the Hut, I have to have the subs for the whole movie in it?
pb1300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:42 AM   #24
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Well its a normal version from the States, and like I said, there are no subs in it, aside from the ones I mentioned earlier. So in order for me to see the subs from Jabba the Hut, I have to have the subs for the whole movie in it?
First, I'll preface that I'm certainly no expert with Handbrake, just know what I learned by using it and reading the forums. If I'm incorrect with any of my explanation, someone please chime in to correct me.

Each DVD usually has multiple subtitle tracks for various languages. If you turn these on, you'll have subtitles for the entire film. What you're looking for a subtitles in an English language movie for non-English speaking parts. The foreign audio search will scan for these specific parts--the forced check box ensures that the subtitles are always included when viewing (I believe...). Setting it up this way under the subtitles tab should ensure you only have subtitles for non-English spoken parts.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:42 PM   #25
MrMister111
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
First, I'll preface that I'm certainly no expert with Handbrake, just know what I learned by using it and reading the forums. If I'm incorrect with any of my explanation, someone please chime in to correct me.

Each DVD usually has multiple subtitle tracks for various languages. If you turn these on, you'll have subtitles for the entire film. What you're looking for a subtitles in an English language movie for non-English speaking parts. The foreign audio search will scan for these specific parts--the forced check box ensures that the subtitles are always included when viewing (I believe...). Setting it up this way under the subtitles tab should ensure you only have subtitles for non-English spoken parts.
Find the chapter that your taking about with the subtitles and try the different options above just encoding that chapter to see which works
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Musician would like to use ipad live- need file transfer advice kristenanne77 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Dec 4, 2013 11:38 PM
Ready to buy, card at the ready... monkeycid Buying Tips and Advice 2 Dec 31, 2012 02:26 PM
Ready to game on the rMBP - Need win7 advice please snyder17315 MacBook Pro 7 Dec 13, 2012 02:26 PM
Getting ready to use Time Machine restore. Need advice. petalino Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Nov 10, 2012 07:23 PM
In need of Advice - transfer my stuff over to a new MBP elberto1 Mac Basics and Help 0 Jul 28, 2012 11:52 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC