Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Mar 22, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1
toonshorty
macrumors member

Generic MIDI-USB drivers for OSX 10.6.2

I purchased a generic MIDI to USB adapter for my keyboard about 3 years ago and it only has Windows XP drivers however by installing generic Windows 7 drivers it worked fine.

I want to replace text keyboard typing with an actual keyboard and I guess I'll just need to midi-fy my current keyboard for that to work right?

Does anyone know where I'll find generic MIDI to USB drivers for snow leopard, google came up with very little related topics.

Thanks,

Ben.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
tman07
macrumors regular

this may be a stupid idea (you may have tried already), but i would just plug it in and see what happens. haha

It may just- work!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3
toonshorty
macrumors member

you my friend are a genius!

One problem I have is how do I set garage band to to receive the input from my piano, process it (synth effects etc.) and then play it out of the mac speakers.

Garage band shows it's receiving an input but the iMac doesn't make a sound and my keyboard does.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonshorty View Post
you my friend are a genius!

One problem I have is how do I set garage band to to receive the input from my piano, process it (synth effects etc.) and then play it out of the mac speakers.

Garage band shows it's receiving an input but the iMac doesn't make a sound and my keyboard does.
You do mave the two MIDI cables i the correct jacks? It is a common mistae to reverse them

In GB have you asigned a software instrument and is GB's volume (and the Mac's volume) turned up and you have asigned the audio out to the speakers?

Your keyboard will continue to make sound until you apply asetting to "disable local control". on my this is some kind of funtion setting. But turning the volume down works too.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5
toonshorty
macrumors member

Great, thanks. Got it working.

I knew the whole in to out MIDI setup, logical when you think about it but for newbies like me it caught me out the first time.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:02 PM   #6
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonshorty View Post
Great, thanks. Got it working.

I knew the whole in to out MIDI setup, logical when you think about it but for newbies like me it caught me out the first time.
Yes, IN goes to OUT, OUT goes to IN. This screwed me up the first time, too.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7
misterwebmaster
macrumors newbie

I'm looking to have a similar set-up. What brand and model midi-to-usb cables are you using? How's the lag, sound quality, etc? Are you able to capture different key velocities?

I have an old Casio cps-101 I'd like to hook up for use in GB.

Last edited by misterwebmaster; Apr 4, 2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added a question
misterwebmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:52 PM   #8
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwebmaster View Post
I'm looking to have a similar set-up. What brand and model midi-to-usb cables are you using? How's the lag, sound quality, etc? Are you able to capture different key velocities?

I have an old Casio cps-101 I'd like to hook up for use in GB.
Any of the generic cables work. The "Uno" has LEDs that help you know if data is moving. Get one with LEDs. LEDs let you kknw the thing is "alive" or not You should not need any "drivers".

On a Mac runing one of the buillt-in sound in GB latency is non detectable, on the other of 10 ms.

Sound quality is mostly determined by the amp and speakers you have. There are third party virtual instruments that are truly state of the art should you need to and have the $$$. Look up "ivory" from Sythology as an example, it will run inside GB (or logic) or stand alone. "Pianoteq" is another.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio