Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Sep 9, 2004, 09:34 AM   #1
Thirteenva
macrumors 6502a

Purchasing new cellphone, where can I find reviews?

I'm purchasing a new cell phone this month when I switch carriers (from at&t to Verizon). I'm looking for websites where I can find reviews for Verizon's current offerings.
Thirteenva is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

"Howard Forums" is a great place to go. It doesn't sound like much of a mobile forum, but its highly recommended. There's one more site that's as recommended, but I forget the name.

www.howardforums.com
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3
wide
macrumors 6502a

Go to the cell phones section at www.cnet.com for detailed reviews.

I also use Verizon Wireless, and I reccommend the Samsung SCH-A670. The Motorola 710 looks good on the websites but it enormous in reality, and the LG-U3000 is an old phone and LG's new phones are ****. That's basically why I got the SCH-A670. It's relatively new, released in late June.
a dell laptop and a few ipods
wide is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:11 AM   #4
NCTRNL
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to NCTRNL
www.gsmarena.com is a good one as well
NCTRNL is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:42 AM   #5
r6girl
Administrator/Editor

Send a message via AIM to r6girl
or try www.phonescoop.com

marianne
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:35 PM   #6
sinisterdesign
macrumors 6502

yeah, Cnet should break it down by provider.

Gizmodo is good for all the latest cool phones coming out, but sometimes the phones may not show up here for months (or ever).
sinisterdesign is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:37 PM   #7
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

You could always ask Macrumors members for their reviews, too.
dotnina is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:59 PM   #8
scem0
macrumors 604

I like Amazon's reviews.

scem0
scem0 is offline   0
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:14 AM   #9
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020

Or, for reviews not influenced by sales pitches, you could try Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, they don't always have reports on the very latest items (they review them in groups), and it's a paid subscription.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 04:15 AM   #10
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by macLC40
or try www.phonescoop.com

marianne
Oooh, that's the name I was looking for. Howard's Forums and Phonescoop are the places to go for mobile phone info. They're the MacRumors of the mobile phone world, and are very passionate about their mobile phones.

Howard's Forums break everything down by all mobile providers in North America and Europe. Amazing. And since they have forums for each provider by continent, you'll find quite a few local users. Well, I did. From the services, you can generally just go through the threads and know which phones are the best for which service.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:48 PM   #11
NCTRNL
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to NCTRNL
I have the Motorola V600 through T-Mobile and it is probably the best phone that I have ever owned. Bluetooth is such a great function and when I get my PB it will be an even bigger function. Using wireless internet with my Pocket PC through the V600 is great.
NCTRNL is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 06:24 PM   #12
kronos2611
macrumors member

I bought a SonyEricsson K700 a few months ago - don't know if it's available in the US yet though... (the sonyericsson webiste seems to think not). I've found it to be a fantastic phone - tons of memory, decent camera - radio (never used) bluetooth and syncs properly with my Mac.
kronos2611 is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 07:11 PM   #13
MacNeXT
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos2611
I bought a SonyEricsson K700 a few months ago - don't know if it's available in the US yet though... (the sonyericsson webiste seems to think not). I've found it to be a fantastic phone - tons of memory, decent camera - radio (never used) bluetooth and syncs properly with my Mac.
I second that. It's supposed to be the competitor, pricewise, to the nokia 6230, which is the one that's shaped like a coffin. IMHO, the K700(i) has a much better bang-for-the-buck value. Better and larger display, more memory, better camera, nicer design. The only downside is that it hasn't got memory expansion capabilities (SD cards or whatever they're called).

It's a great phone and I really recommend it if it's in your price-range. And it's Mac friendly! Did I mention that it plays MP3's ???
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:44 PM   #14
zwida
macrumors 6502a

I certainly second the Phone Scoop recommendation. You might also try Mobile Tracker: http://www.mobiletracker.net/.

I think you'll find Verizon's current offerings to lack a bit of the wow-factor that you'll get with Cingular or AT&T. I've currently got the Moto V710, which while it's kind of cool, Verizon's crippled bluetooth STINKS.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:53 PM   #15
GeorgeTheMonkey
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNeXT
I second that. It's supposed to be the competitor, pricewise, to the nokia 6230, which is the one that's shaped like a coffin. IMHO, the K700(i) has a much better bang-for-the-buck value. Better and larger display, more memory, better camera, nicer design. The only downside is that it hasn't got memory expansion capabilities (SD cards or whatever they're called).

It's a great phone and I really recommend it if it's in your price-range. And it's Mac friendly! Did I mention that it plays MP3's ???
Is it possible for me to third that? In that case, I do.

Absolutely love my K700, and although I'm not sure I've gotten the full $388 dollars I paid for it out of it yet, I'm willing to shrug the price off as a joyful techno-gadget, once-in-a-lifetime indescretion buy.

Love the design, get tons of comments about the cool display, the camera's just cool, being able to have an MP3 of the Beatles' "Twist and Shout" as a ringtone is just grooviness, and it really is just a pleasure to use. I do have a few bit of qualms with syncing -- namely, any actual addresses won't carry over when you sync, just phone numbers -- but those are more firmware/iSync issues.

Great phone to have! I'd recommend it. (Mind you, it won't work with Verizon though. It's a GSM phone only -- with CDMA, you'll have to buy a phone directly from Verizon, so your options are rather limited.)
GeorgeTheMonkey is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:41 PM   #16
lazymuoio
macrumors member

i like www.cnet.com s revewis they are fair unbiased they dont update revewis regualrery however, such as computer speed bumps but they have consumer opinions which are also very heplfl i recomend them alot
lazymuoio is offline   0
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:55 PM   #17
baby duck monge
macrumors 68000

www.mobileburn.com is also a good place to look, though they tend to have less reviews of the "regular" phones and more reviews of the high-end stuff, so if you're looking for something plain it might not be there (though the reviews they do have are great).
Old Sep 13, 2004, 04:22 PM   #18
Thirteenva
macrumors 6502a

I guess i should say that I'd like to keep the price tag under $200, and I'm really only interested in phones that will work with verizon's service. I've had trouble with reception here (northeast PA)and customer service with at&t. I'm open to reviews from individuals also, and not just review websites.

Thanks.
Thirteenva is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews