Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Yahoo! Launches Search and 'Sketch-a-Search' Apps for iPhone

Yahoo! today announced the release of two new applications for the iPhone and iPod touch, offering new tools to assist users with searches while on the go.

Yahoo! Search

The first application, Yahoo! Search, is a standard search application offering voice search, local results, maps, and personalized results.
Quote:
Maximized for speed, the Yahoo! Search iPhone app revolves around an innovative interface that delivers contextually relevant results quickly and efficiently. A bevy of features -- tightly embedded maps, localized query suggestions that display as you type, intelligent search history, voice search, and rich content and information from Yahoo! and other sources that appear directly in the results -- creates an optimal experience for finding exactly what you need.
Yahoo! Search is currently available in 22 countries, with more on the way.

Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search

The second application, Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search is a simple yet creative map-based application for finding local businesses. Users can simply draw a circle around a geographic area with their finger and see businesses within their specified region.
Quote:
Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search makes search even easier, without typing keywords or thinking about search terms. You simply draw a boundary on your phone's map to discover local businesses within that location. Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search delivers robust local content without people needing to know the neighborhood.
At launch, Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search is available only in the U.S. and covers only restaurants, but additional business categories and localizations are reportedly coming soon.

Article Link: Yahoo! Launches Search and 'Sketch-a-Search' Apps for iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
andylyon
macrumors 6502a

I'll definitely be trying out the search app!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
djpaetkau
macrumors newbie

Maybe it's just me, but it's pretty annoying that these apps are different things when they're both search apps. I love the sketch-to-search idea, but does it really need a separate app? Personally, if I want to look for things, I want do it all in one place, not crowd my phone with separate apps for every disparate type of searching. Why not allow me to do a voice search for a restaurant, then allow me to narrow down results (or expand them) by selecting the area i want to search in.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Sketch to search is a great idea. Much better than what i thought when I read the title: you draw something on your iphone and yahoo searches for the item you drew. This is much better.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G5

Instead of a loop, I’d like to be able to just “paint” a broad stroke with a finger and see businesses under my finger pop up.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:50 AM   #6
pmz
Banned

Apple has really missed the boat with Sketch/Search feature. Would be infinitely useful inside Google Maps.

Guess we need an app for it.
pmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:56 AM   #7
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

As far as I can tell, the "search to sketch" app is not for local businesses, it is for local restaurants only. I cannot find a way to search for non-restaurant businesses.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:26 AM   #8
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Apple has really missed the boat with Sketch/Search feature. Would be infinitely useful inside Google Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolfmatt View Post
Sketch to search is a great idea. Much better than what i thought when I read the title: you draw something on your iphone and yahoo searches for the item you drew. This is much better.
Ya, I like the sound of that a lot. Good job Yahoo!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:12 PM   #9
flash144
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolfmatt View Post
As far as I can tell, the "search to sketch" app is not for local businesses, it is for local restaurants only. I cannot find a way to search for non-restaurant businesses.

Not to be too mean ;p, but re-read the last few sentences of the story again.

Here 'tis, so you don't have to scroll back up:

At launch, Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search is available only in the U.S. and covers only restaurants, but additional business categories and localizations are reportedly coming soon.
flash144 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:37 PM   #10
vjl323
macrumors regular

What's that icon?

On the Avatar and the Slanted Door screenshot - what is that icon on the menubar near the battery icon? Looks like a keyboard and a phone handset. On the Avatar screenshot it is between the alarm clock and bluetooth icon. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

TIA,

/vjl/
vjl323 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:36 PM   #11
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
So, in the search-a-sketch App;

When they include other biasness, if you circle a small area in, say NY city, 200+ listing will pop up, which you then need to sift though, or you’ll restrict the search to begin with.

Seems more like a gimmick than really a useful concept.
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:39 PM   #12
severe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I'm not sure what you mean here. Is it Apple or Google that's missed the boat? You're placing blame on the iPhone's manufacturer/OS for what an included 3rd party app is lacking, in your opinion?

Is this not another third party developer thats come to your rescue, on the same device/OS? What boat has Apple missed?
severe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

LOVE Sketch-a-Search.

Thank you yahoo!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:19 PM   #14
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjl323 View Post
On the Avatar and the Slanted Door screenshot - what is that icon on the menubar near the battery icon? Looks like a keyboard and a phone handset. On the Avatar screenshot it is between the alarm clock and bluetooth icon. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

TIA,

/vjl/
Think it is VPN.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:02 PM   #15
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
So, in the search-a-sketch App;

When they include other biasness, if you circle a small area in, say NY city, 200+ listing will pop up, which you then need to sift though, or you’ll restrict the search to begin with.

Seems more like a gimmick than really a useful concept.
Agreed. Google maps does the same thing, but not restricted to restaurants. Just go to your location, then search for something. Food, car repair, whatever. It'll pop up stuff in your area. I guess maybe you want to know about another area then go to that area of the map or enter a zip code with your search, or a city name, etc. NEVER had a need to draw a region. Kind of limiting anyway.
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 06:29 PM   #16
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

Oops. This doesn't look good.

Nothing else I search for returns results either.

App deleted.

Perhaps Yahoo should stick to finishing off some of their unfinished things like Messenger first, before they get all ambitious and try something else, when it's clearly out of their league.

EDIT: never mind all the separate apps, what about the duplicate apps? They also have Inquisitor, which looks to be basically the same thing, although it might actually work instead of being a joke app.

Last edited by batchtaster; Mar 23, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
batchtaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:07 AM   #17
wiliamjoan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Agreed. Google maps does the same thing, but not restricted to restaurants. Just go to your location, then search for something. Food, car repair, whatever. It'll pop up stuff in your area. I guess maybe you want to know about another area then go to that area of the map or enter a zip code with your search, or a city name, etc. NEVER had a need to draw a region. Kind of limiting anyway.
Sketch-a-Search is brilliant, but what would be better is a way to tag why you selected a place or why you didn't go to another.I suspect Yahoo will have to go deeper in value as while there is some value here it can be replicated in minutes by the under-employed programers in Silicon Valley.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #18
cybaster
macrumors member

The Sketch-a-Search app is very good. smart intuitive UI, someone in Yahoo is finally thinking outside of the (search) box.

but one thing that really stuck out was that it was using maps provided by Google. Really yahoo?

http://maps.yahoo.com
cybaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:20 PM   #19
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybaster View Post
The Sketch-a-Search app is very good. smart intuitive UI, someone in Yahoo is finally thinking outside of the (search) box.

but one thing that really stuck out was that it was using maps provided by Google. Really yahoo?

http://maps.yahoo.com
You noticed that, too?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:18 PM   #20
niuniu
Banned

Nice idea, but needs to have more options - like choosing the sorts of businesses you want to show up etc..
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:45 PM   #21
MarximusMG
macrumors 6502a

The Sketch-a-Search app looks really useful! Might have to try that one out.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion