Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Jeddy
macrumors newbie

Mail application will not shut down

Thanks in advance for any help. I am a new Macbook Pro user. Had it about 1 month now. Any way I was on I photo and playing around and downloaded a picture from my digatal camera. I then clicked the mail button in the I photo program (I have not set up mail yet I have comcast mail) just to see what would happen and also to see if I could send it using my comcast sign on . Well I then thought I cancelled that. When I try to Shut down my Mac it will not let me or course because it still has the mail program open. When I try to shut down mail it will not let me and does not even highlight that option. Before I call Apple support I thought someone here might know a fix to my stupid mistake. Forgive me I am learning right now
Jeddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Hold Alt + Cmd + Escape to bring up the Force Quit menu. Try Force Quitting it from there.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Jeddy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Hold Alt + Cmd + Escape to bring up the Force Quit menu. Try Force Quitting it from there.
Thanks for your reply. So what did I do wrong? Just so I don't repeat it.

Also does I noticed Force Quit on the Main shut down but did not want to use it yet. Well it do anything bad to my new Mac?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddy View Post
Well, it seems like clicking the "Mail" button in iPhoto started the whole thing.

Quote:
Also does I noticed Force Quit on the Main shut down but did not want to use it yet. Well it do anything bad to my new Mac?
Not quite sure what you mean here.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5
Jeddy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Well, it seems like clicking the "Mail" button in iPhoto started the whole thing.

Not quite sure what you mean here.
Sorry at work and multitasking. What I mean is using the Force Quit option - will it do any damage to my new Mac? It just seems like an option one does not make a habit of using allot.

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:49 AM   #6
forcefieldkid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddy View Post
I might be wrong here, but did you actually go to the menu in mail and go to mail>quit mail? or did you just close the window by clicking the red x in the corner? Just closing the window does not close the application, which may be why your MBP refused to shut down. If you find this again (and I'm still guessing that might be what happened) you can go to the dock and ctrl+click the mail icon and quit the program from there.

Also, the blue lights underneath the icons in the dock highlight which programs are currently running, regardless whether youve closed the programs window or not.

Apologies if I'm way off with that.
forcefieldkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help