Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanlee8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
London
Right guys i been looking around forum for a few months and just made account.

Basically i want a new hobby and photography looks to be my new one. i am willing to learn and dont have a massive budget. And im into video editing aswell so a good picture taking camera with video recording would be amazing.

i really am a noob but want to learn as it facinates me. So what shall i do pro's ?

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
First of all, know that photography is an expensive hobby. I'm guessing you want to buy something soon; what is your budget?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Depends on what you want. You can get used Canon Powershots for really cheap to start with, or you can jump directly to DSLRs with lenses that cost more than cars. If you still don't know how much interest you have in it a small point&shoot is a good start.

stanlee8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
London
my budget is prob about £500 max but would like video function for that price. i wouldnt buy prob any lenses unless i won money. So id just keep the one that normally comes with it. Half the reason i want one is that a camcorder is like £200, when for like £400 you can have camcorder and semi pro camera.:)

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
I recently purchased a Nikon D3000 and I'm very happy with the camera considering how low the price is. It's a great beginner SLR.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Assuming you want a dSLR, since you didn't specify...

Though I shoot Nikon, I believe Canon has more fully-featured entry-level cameras, especially for people wanting video. Only the Canons (500D and 550D) shoot 1080p video, albeit the 500D only at 20 fps, though its 720p frame rate (30 fps) is still faster than its dSLR competitors (Nikon D5000 and Pentax K-x at 24 fps).

The D3000 does not shoot video.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Feel free to stop by my website and check out some of our shooting tips and post production tutorials. I normally add about 4 photography articles a week so there is lots of info some beginning and some advanced to read through:
http://www.digitalphotobuzz.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.