Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Last week I reformatted my desktop and laptop just so I can get rid of virtual pc and os 9 (wasn't using them and wanted to save hard drive space) Well, now I realize I need classic for a cd that came with one of my books for school. My computers came with Jaguar disks and I was just hoping for an easy straight forward way of getting os 9 back on my machines so I can use classic.

Thanks

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
1) I would try booting into Jaguar from the Restore disks that came with your mac. You may be able to restore just Classic, then again, maybe not...

2) Can you get your hands on a OS 9 CD? Will your macs boot into 9? You may or may not be able to boot from that. If you can, you're golden. If not...

3) If you can't do 1) and don't have 2),
Download pacifist from Versiontracker. Pacifist allows you to search and extract dmg files (even invisible ones) from install disks. The Classic DMG image is on the CDs you have. Find it (sorry I don't know where) and save it as a DMG file. Open the DMG file and use Disk Utility to burn that to a CD. Now boot from that and install 9.

If you can't boot from 9 and can't restore from Jaguar, you are SOL unless you can install 9.2.2 from 3) on something and then copy the whole folder to your Mac.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if all you are looking to do is restore classic and not install OS 9 then all you should have to do is get the DVD/disc that have the software restore on it that came with your mac, pop it in and you can reinstall classic with no prob

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
PlaceofDis said:
if all you are looking to do is restore classic and not install OS 9 then all you should have to do is get the DVD/disc that have the software restore on it that came with your mac, pop it in and you can reinstall classic with no prob
No no PlaceofDis - upperblue79 needs Mac OS 9 AND the Classic environment to run that CD. The Classic environment is useless without Mac OS 9, since Classic works by booting an altered Mac OS 9.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Classic requires a full OS 9 System Folder. Which the install for is on your Jagaur disks. Using the system restore disk (or it might be labled disk 2, the one you don't have to boot up from), you should install the system restore witch is like a 2mb program that lets you restore the original software on your computer. When you run it you should be able to select installing only OS 9.

The other choice is to use pacifist or some other program to show invisible files and hunt around on the restore disk for the classic .dmg file and run that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.