Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:32 AM   #51
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
4. Blu-ray is nice but I already had a dedicated Blu-ray player
what about a bluray RIPPER. hehehe. ps3 can do that
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:52 AM   #52
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill. View Post
xbox360 is the pioneer in online console gaming, and they are ahead of ps3
I'd have to disagree and say the Dreamcast was the pioneer of online console gaming.

Quote:
3. I don't develop for X360 so that doesn't matter to me. If the game is good, then I'll play it.

I buy products based on quality, not features. I don't have much faith in Microsoft products, but I have a lot of faith in Apple and Samsung for bringing high quality stuff to the market. I'm sorry it bothers you, but that's just the way I am. If I bought a Microsoft product, I would feel guilty about it. It was bad enough running their OS on my Mac, but now I don't need Windows at all thanks to Playstation 3!
I'm confused. You say if it's a good game, you'll play it... unless MS was involved with it. You say you buy products based on quality but owning anything MS makes you feel guilty so even if MS made a better product you still wouldn't buy it?

I think you just need to own up to having an irrational dislike for anything MS and leave it at that. Trying to justify it is pointless.

Lethal
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:54 AM   #53
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I'd have to disagree and say the Dreamcast was the pioneer of online console gaming.

Lethal
you are both wrong. apple was the pioneer. it was too advanced for its time
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:42 AM   #54
SevenInchScrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
you are both wrong. apple was the pioneer. it was too advanced for its time
I think Nintendo might disagree with you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview
in the Great Below.
SevenInchScrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:46 AM   #55
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenInchScrew View Post

only like 3 months before the pippin was lol.. but touche
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:03 AM   #56
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

The Dreamcast offered the first viable online console gaming system though and, AFAIK, the first to offer broadband capability via the ethernet module.

Nintendo and Apple, in this regard, were the like guys wandering into the great unknown never to be heard from again where as Sega was like Lewis & Clark.

Lethal
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:25 AM   #57
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
The Dreamcast offered the first viable online console gaming system though and, AFAIK, the first to offer broadband capability via the ethernet module.

Nintendo and Apple, in this regard, were the like guys wandering into the great unknown never to be heard from again where as Sega was like Lewis & Clark.

Lethal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Meganet
etc.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:01 AM   #58
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Being the first to do somthing is not necesserily meaning the first to do it properly. Apple was not the first to do mp3's or online music store. It was the first to do it properly and effectivly then pioneered and lead the market.

Microsoft's xbox was not the first console to offer online gaming, but Xbox Live itself was the first to do it properly and again pioneered and chaned the way all future consoles did online gaming services.

Dreamcast may have been first, but it's commercial failure stopped it from ever being a 'pioneer'.

Microsoft's console and Xbox Live was also the first to bring us DLC, and original arcade titles by digital delivery on console. Sadly it was also the first to introduce game patches to console games though they remain thankfully small (in comparison to the size of ps3 game patches).

As I say being the first is not the same as pioneering or changing the way we do things. Being the first to do it properly that everyone else then copies your service is.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:07 AM   #59
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:

Lethal
yup well aware of the impact that the dreamcast had on everything. but that doesnt mean to say that it was a pioneer. it was successful, yes.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:36 AM   #60
randomerratum
macrumors 6502

Well, I'm a mac user and I got a PS3 to use as a Blu-Ray player. Mostly, it does BD and Instant Watch Netflix, but I do occasionally go into gaming phases, (Orange Box, CoD4, MGS4 etc)

Maybe I've just gotten spoiled by using macs for the better part of a decade, but man, oh man do I HATE the ever-loving-sh** out of my my PS3.

Sure, from a purely technical standpoint, it's arguably the best gaming console and definitely the best DVD/Blu-Ray player on the market. The DVD upscaler is second to none and the games are top notch.

But preforming even the most basic menial tasks, like renting and managing movies, hard drive space and managing accessories is excruciating. From a design/user interface perspective, it's a total failure as a consumer device. It's 2010. Cryptic error codes and having to 'learn' all of our devices is an archaic notion. Get with the times Sony.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:07 AM   #61
Icaras
macrumors 601

Yea, what's up with not adding the Wii?

Been a nintendo fan since day one. Wii and DSi here all the way.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:40 AM   #62
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Yea, what's up with not adding the Wii?

Been a nintendo fan since day one. Wii and DSi here all the way.
I've been a Nintendo fan since the SNES. I've owned a SNES, N64 and still have my Gamecube.
The Wii, I don't know. Althoug there are some great Nintendo franchises (SM galaxies, Metroid, etc.), I hate the fact that the Wii appeals so much to non-hardcore gamers with all that Wii-fit and other crap.
Now, all of a sudden, gaming is no longer antisocial or morally irresponsible.
All the people that used to laugh at me, calling me childish when I told them I play computer games, now do Wii Fit workouts or play a game of virtual Wii Sports tennis when they come home from work.

Well, screw'em. I hope they sprain a muscle...

My next console will probably be a PS3 or a 360.
Dr. McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:35 AM   #63
Dagless
macrumors Core

The Wii's whole library is different to the last gen, but nothing has changed in the games I get. My NES, N64, GC... all the games are by Nintendo or 3rd parties (Metroid Prime, Kirby). Even looking at my DS and PSP libraries the bulk, 75% or so, are made up of first party titles.

There's a lot of crap on the Wii yes but being the warlock I am I don't need to deal with them.

Oh and +1 here for the DC's online. They were the first to take something difficult to use and make it mainstream. The Xbox just takes it a lot further and since more people now have internet connections - it gets a lot more people online.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:50 AM   #64
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:

I'm confused. You say if it's a good game, you'll play it... unless MS was involved with it. You say you buy products based on quality but owning anything MS makes you feel guilty so even if MS made a better product you still wouldn't buy it?

I think you just need to own up to having an irrational dislike for anything MS and leave it at that. Trying to justify it is pointless.

Lethal
First of all, I meant that if the game is good on the PS3, I'll play it. If it's only for the X360, I'm obviously not going to play it.

Second of all, I already said that I do not want a Microsoft piece of hardware in my house.

Yeah, I'm an Apple fanboy and buying from the competition doesn't feel right to me whether the games are better or not. I'm happy with my PS3 and I feel like I made the right choice.

The only game that absolutely matters to me right now is Modern Warfare 2 and it runs really smoothly on the PS3. That's the game I play the most (first started with Call of Duty 4 on the computer, then Modern Warfare 2 on the computer and finally moved to Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3).

By the way... I played COD4 on the X360 last night for a little while at my friend's house (his kid has one) and I really hate the controller. I don't know if it's just less responsive/accurate or if I'm just too used to the PS Sixaxis, but it was very hard to use.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:02 AM   #65
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

You're right, there IS good stuff on the Wii, but I'm more of a traditional kind of gamer (ie gamepad) so I'm not really into playing Zelda twilight or Mario Galaxy with the motion controller.

Kind of like the 3D glasses thing. Makes me look like a ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24-Retards.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	219535  
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:12 AM   #66
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I already said that I do not want a Microsoft piece of hardware in my house.

Yeah, I'm an Apple fanboy and buying from the competition doesn't feel right to me whether the games are better or not.

Blind Fanaticism of any variety is bad and fosters hatred. Be it religious or material. Being unable to rationalize and see that you are being prejudice, leads to dark paths.

You may not be strapping explosives to your chest and suicide bombing people, but that same fanatical devotion that drives someone to do that comes from the same place albeit for different reasons.

If you can rationally see that there is something wrong with that, then you should be able to demonstrate some understanding as to why your fanaticism over brand X is so ridiculous to the majority of us here, and then in some way learn to foster and adopt a more open approach to life.

Prejudice is not good in any shape or form.

edit:

Or to put it in words of your BRAND demigods "Think different"........

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Mar 26, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:27 AM   #67
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Blind Fanaticism of any variety is bad and fosters hatred. Be it religious or material. Being unable to rationalize and see that you are being prejudice, leads to dark paths.

You may not be strapping explosives to your chest and suicide bombing people, but that same fanatical devotion that drives someone to do that comes from the same place albeit for different reasons.

If you can rationally see that there is something wrong with that, then you should be able to demonstrate some understanding as to why your fanaticism over brand X is so ridiculous to the majority of us here, and then in some way learn to foster and adopt a more open approach to life.

Prejudice is not good in any shape or form.

edit:

Or to put it in words of your BRAND demigods ™ "Think different"........
It's not prejudice, it's a preference. There's nothing different about the way I behave and someone hating the Yankees because they live in Boston or a Chevy driver who will never buy a Ford and vise versa.

I'm free to do what I want and if I don't want an XBox, I won't get one. It's not like I'm harming anyone with my decision, they'll sell that XBox to someone else who actually wants it.

I don't see anything wrong with what I'm doing.

By the way, am I supposed to try other religions too? I'll have to remember to go religion shopping some time this weekend. Oh yeah, that's right... I'm prejudice because I don't like Satanism.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:33 AM   #68
ViViDboarder
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenInchScrew View Post

I think Sega might disagree with you again!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

I'm not sure Sega channel had multiplayer, but it brought the console online to download new content and predated many others.

I will agree that Dreamcast made it viable and then it became more wide spread with PS2 and later Xbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I've been a Nintendo fan since the SNES. I've owned a SNES, N64 and still have my Gamecube.
The Wii, I don't know. Althoug there are some great Nintendo franchises (SM galaxies, Metroid, etc.), I hate the fact that the Wii appeals so much to non-hardcore gamers with all that Wii-fit and other crap.
Now, all of a sudden, gaming is no longer antisocial or morally irresponsible.
All the people that used to laugh at me, calling me childish when I told them I play computer games, now do Wii Fit workouts or play a game of virtual Wii Sports tennis when they come home from work.

Well, screw'em. I hope they sprain a muscle...

My next console will probably be a PS3 or a 360.
Wow... Just... Wow... So you don't like the Wii now, not because YOU have a problem with IT but because OTHER people like it? So you dislike it only out of spite for those who used to laugh at you? That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard on this forum... And I've read a lot of absurd things.

I have all three consoles and I would never give up my Wii! There are fun games to play on it. I don't need to always be aiming for headshots in shooters. Sometimes I want to sit down and play Mario or Wii bowling or Zelda, or any other Wii game. Just because it's "mainstream" isn't a reason to hate.

If your post was entirely sarcastic... Then touche, you got me.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:35 AM   #69
ViViDboarder
macrumors 68040

Quote:
It's not prejudice, it's a preference. There's nothing different about the way I behave and someone hating the Yankees because they live in Boston or a Chevy driver who will never buy a Ford and vise versa.

I'm free to do what I want and if I don't want an XBox, I won't get one. It's not like I'm harming anyone with my decision, they'll sell that XBox to someone else who actually wants it.

I don't see anything wrong with what I'm doing.

By the way, am I supposed to try other religions too? I'll have to remember to go religion shopping some time this weekend. Oh yeah, that's right... I'm prejudice because I don't like Satanism.

I think he expects you to buy every console known to man.

He bought the PS3 and likes it. He has no desire to play the 360. He never said that the 360 sucks and is an awful system compared to the PS3, only that he doesn't want it. Not a big deal guys...

TheSpaz, people just love giving you a hard time, haha.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:00 AM   #70
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViViDboarder View Post
If your post was entirely sarcastic... Then touche, you got me.
Maybe it was. Who knows.

I don't HATE the Wii. And people don't really laugh at me. It's just that I see people all around me that used to really loathe video games, people who had the usual prejudices against games : too violent (almost certainly leads to a gamer picking up a gun at some point in his life and just starts shooting people), too addictive, antisocial (when you're a gamer, you have no friends and you stay indoors all the time), etcetera etcetera, now playing motion games on the Wii.

Instead of the Wii fit, why don't they go to a sporting club instead?
Antisocial, violent game junkies that they are... Begone !

Last edited by Dr. McKay; Mar 26, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:19 AM   #71
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViViDboarder View Post
He bought the PS3 and likes it. He has no desire to play the 360.
He started by saying...

He says he could not buy anything by Microsoft simply because it was by Microsoft and it would go against 'his' beliefs and loyalty to Apple.

That to me is brand pre-judice.

As we began to give him a hard time, and his stance seemingly became untenable he has since watered down his position and posted that it was the controller he found uncomfortable and other subsequent reasons or preferences to the PS3.

I think what we actually have is a person who may have a legitimate preference for choosing the PS3, but thought it might be cool to hide behind the 'Apple loyalty' pretense - thinking it buy's KUDOS on this forum.

I do not believe you have to have a 360 or a Wii, it's your choice not to. But to have a whole charade, song & dance about how it goes against everything you have ever stood for, only to subsequently reveal that you used Bootcamp on your mac & you played 360 at friends.

My point about Fanaticism is aimed at all the FANBOY's and bigots and not necessarily at the OP singly.

And OP I didn't say that you had to practice every religion, and it amazes me that you could not even think for a second rationally about what I posted. My post was that fanaticism is wrong regardless of reason, and that a little understanding and respect for others is a much better way of looking at things was the point.

You were obviously too busy backtracking your hardline stance to notice this.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:23 AM   #72
teohyc
macrumors regular

PS3 is a great system.

For the long run it's definitely going to be cheaper because you don't have to pay for internet play.

I'm not too sure about the statistics on the ring of death on the Xbox 360 but that played a part in deciding against XBox 360.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:32 AM   #73
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
He started by saying...

He says he could not buy anything by Microsoft simply because it was by Microsoft and it would go against 'his' beliefs and loyalty to Apple.

That to me is brand pre-judice.

As we began to give him a hard time, and his stance seemingly became untenable he has since watered down his position and posted that it was the controller he found uncomfortable and other subsequent reasons or preferences to the PS3.

I think what we actually have is a person who may have a legitimate preference for choosing the PS3, but thought it might be cool to hide behind the 'Apple loyalty' pretense - thinking it buy's KUDOS on this forum.

I do not believe you have to have a 360 or a Wii, it's your choice not to. But to have a whole charade, song & dance about how it goes against everything you have ever stood for, only to subsequently reveal that you used Bootcamp on your mac & you played 360 at friends.

My point about Fanaticism is aimed at all the FANBOY's and bigots and not necessarily at the OP singly.

And OP I didn't say that you had to practice every religion, and it amazes me that you could not even think for a second rationally about what I posted. My post was that fanaticism is wrong regardless of reason, and that a little understanding and respect for others is a much better way of looking at things was the point.

You were obviously too busy backtracking your hardline stance to notice this.
Umm... read my first post again. I mentioned the controller in the very first post. I'm more used to the PlayStation controllers and they haven't changed since the very first PlayStation (except for analog sticks and L1/L2 buttons).

Also, I mentioned that I could deal with having Windows installed on my Mac. It didn't seem so bad because I was still using my trusty Mac to do it. It makes a difference when I'm using the mouse that I love, the keyboard that I love and the display that I love... from a company that I love.

Yes, the biggest thing that prevented me from investing in an XBox is because of the people who made it.

I suppose I should root for the terrorists too right? I mean, I don't wanna be prejudice against them.

Apple = The good guys.
Microsoft = The bad guys.

That's just how I am. Doesn't mean I'm going to hurt anyone. I just don't want a Microsoft product in my house.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:43 AM   #74
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

I suppose I should root for the terrorists too right? I mean, I don't wanna be prejudice against them.
You still can not understand my post can you???

Please could you apply a thought process before you post and stop making yourself look silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I said earlier

My point is that 'fanaticism' whether for Brand or Religion or any other reason is wrong and harmful.

A terrorist is exactly that. A fanatic who is so blinded by their fanatical beliefs that they are willing to harm others.

Quote:

Apple = The good guys.
Microsoft = The bad guys.

And if you think that life really does boil down to such ridiculous assertions as that, then you need our pity.

I have finished wasting my time here. Console yourself in your own ignorance as much as you like.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:11 AM   #75
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
And if you think that life really does boil down to such ridiculous assertions as that, then you need our pity.
No, life doesn't boil down to 2 companies. It's just the way I feel about those 2 particular companies. Why does it bother you so much? If I'm going to buy a new computer... I know for a FACT I won't even CONSIDER buying anything with Windows on it because I DON'T like it. Why is that so hard to understand for you?

It's like someone from Boston rooting for The Yankees or the Packers... it doesn't make sense.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games