Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
i just got an iPod mini after having had the 3rd gen. iPod.

i still sync with the same PB, but i noticed that the firewire transfer speed for the mini is a tad slower than for the full iPod.

i thought it might be because of the disk speed in the iPod/iPod mini, but both seem to use 4200 rpm drives... according to apple-history.com, the 3rd gen is ata-5 while mini is ata-66. could that be the reason?

i'm not *worried* or anything, just curious...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jxyama said:
i just got an iPod mini after having had the 3rd gen. iPod.

i still sync with the same PB, but i noticed that the firewire transfer speed for the mini is a tad slower than for the full iPod.

i thought it might be because of the disk speed in the iPod/iPod mini, but both seem to use 4200 rpm drives... according to apple-history.com, the 3rd gen is ata-5 while mini is ata-66. could that be the reason?

i'm not *worried* or anything, just curious...
I'd say it's highly likely that the different drives in the 3G iPod and the iPod mini are the reason that the transfer speeds over FireWire are different. Here's an article on FireWire that may clarify things better.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
I use my ipod mini for playing WOW on various macs around the house, but I did not install it on the mini but rather copped it. It was much slower then my 30 gig and my normal firewire drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.