Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Lester52
macrumors member

Could my router firmware or bios be infected?

Is it possible that my router firmware or bios could be infected? If I do a hard reset where I push the tiny button in would this wipe anything bad off that could be on there?
Lester52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:01 PM   #2
spinnerlys

What router do you have?

And do you have a PC, or why are you talking about BIOS?

And why do you think they are infected?
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Lester52
macrumors member

I had questions about router security and I was given a link to this page:

http://securitytube.net/Router-Hacki...%29-video.aspx

I went there and watched the video. But the website seems like a hacking website and I'm worried that I could have been hacked by going there.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester52 View Post
I had questions about router security and I was given a link to this page:

http://securitytube.net/Router-Hacki...%29-video.aspx

I went there and watched the video. But the website seems like a hacking website and I'm worried that I could have been hacked by going there.
Is your router password protected?
Is that password sufficiently long?

I have more than 20 characters for my router and wireless LAN passwords, which should be more than sufficient to protect myself. I also have Mac OS X on my computers, with a Firewall, so I am protected. But if one really wants to get inside, and has the resources and time, one could succeed in penetrating my security, but to what point?

Do you suspect to be infiltrated?

And you haven't answered my questions regarding what router and computer you use, as you mentioned the BIOS, which is not existing on Apple computers.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Lester52
macrumors member

I'm sorry for not answering your questions before. The router is a 2wire and while I do have PCs I haven't had the one PC I used on the internet connected to the router for months.

I'm very scared of that website I linked you to. I don't know if it can be trusted or not.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:24 PM   #6
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester52 View Post
I'm sorry for not answering your questions before. The router is a 2wire and while I do have PCs I haven't had the one PC I used on the internet connected to the router for months.

I'm very scared of that website I linked you to. I don't know if it can be trusted or not.
Do you suspect to be infiltrated or your security being compromised?

If you have taken all the steps to countermeasure the points the narrator in that first video told you about insecurities, then it is quite fair to say, you are safe.

No need to be overly anxious about it. Unless you suspect infiltration and have data that could compromise the company or country you work for, which could make you a target, but I assume, that is not the case.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Lester52
macrumors member

I have no evidence that anything has happened or will, but since the bad incident on windows which made me switch to Mac I've been paranoid about security issues. I also sometimes feel naked on the Mac since they don't require as much messing with as windows does.

Can you verify if SecurityTube is a safe website, and if http://securitytube.net/Router-Hacki...%29-video.aspx is safe to go to?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:34 PM   #8
notjustjay
macrumors 603

The video is hosted from vimeo.com which is a trusted site -- perhaps not as popular as YouTube but of similar calibre. It's just a guy reading some PowerPoint slides.

Don't worry, there's nothing risky here.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking