Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chreesto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm planning on getting a mini for an HTPC in the near future. Before I make the investment in yet another MAC system I wanted to do a "proof of concept"
dry run to test out the functionality of the Eye TV hybrid, Plex, netflix, hulu etc. I just purchased the Eye TV, apple bluetooth keyboard, magic mouse, and a minidisplayport to HDMI converter. I plan on pairing all of this to my Macbook Pro (unibody, 2.4 C2D) My questions are these - how close will the performance with this setup be to a Mac Mini? Will I run into issues with overheating? How long can I run this setup (assuming my wife doesn't demand her computer back) without damaging the MBP? Can I run the MBP with the lid closed? Has anyone else tried this? I'm tired of waiting for an ATV that does what I want it to so have taken the HTPC Plunge. I'll still use my ATV on my second TV but I'm moving on.
Thanks for the help.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
This is very close to what I did prior to springing for a dedicated mini. I didn't use an EyeTV, but ran Plex on my 2.4 Unibody MacBook via DVI to the TV with audio out into my receiver. I didn't have any problems but it wasn't long (maybe a month of intermittent use and proof of concept?) before I was in the Apple store picking up a mini.

The funny part was the Apple employee who sold me the mini. After a couple of cursory unrelated questions, he just smiled and asked "So, you have everything you need to hook this up to your TV?"
:D

chreesto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure I'll be springing for a mini soon as well. Hopefully I can wait until the next version comes out (doubtful) I'll probably buy one a week before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.